By DepressedCellist - 27/09/2018 12:00

Today, my boyfriend and I had band practice for our duo. I've been playing cello for almost a year and wanted to incorporate it. He picked it up for pretty much the first time and sounded surprisingly good. I was excited until I realized he sounded better than me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 530
You deserved it 512

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Eh, so he has a natural talent. Nothing to be jealous about.

You have what my music teacher called "stupid fingers".

Comments

Eh, so he has a natural talent. Nothing to be jealous about.

Almost a whole year? You must be better than Yo-Yo Ma now!

I have a friend like that who can pick up pretty much any instrument and play it well in short order. There are people who just have that talent. You may find, as I did relative to musical instruments, that your talent lies elsewhere. That doesn't mean I don't have fun playing a few chords on my guitar now and then, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be a rock star any time soon.

It's literally in some people's genetics everyone in my family but me can take any instrument even if they've never touched it and play it well almost instantly 😒 it sucks I can barely play the harmonica my brother on the other hand once sat down to a harpsichord and in 10mins sounded better than the teacher he had never even seen one before 🙄

geniusness 6

You're in good company with this situation: Reporter: "Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?" Paul McCartney: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles!" So just enjoy yourself.

Squishlefish 3

Hi all, OP here! Excited I finally got an fml published :) To clarify- to all you judging, no, I am not jealous at all, I just thought it would make a good fml. I am actually very proud of his musical talents! I just thought this situation was funny, and it's always good to be able to laugh at yourself! I'm not bad on the cello, he just has over 15 years of music school under his belt + natural talent and can play over 16 instruments quite well, and almost anything he picks up he plays decently as soon as he figures out how it works (which is like 5 seconds). I fully support him and love him, and am thankful of these skills especially seeing as we are a duo. My forte is voice and a bit of guitar (so music IS a thing for me), and I wanted to learn the cello since I love it. And I realize 1 year isn't much at all to be playing ;) Thanks to all who were supportive!