By nobody - 28/02/2016 01:36 - United States - Petaluma

Today, my best friend said we couldn't be friends anymore because I'm too depressed or too happy all the time. After explaining for half an hour what bipolar depression was and how I have it he just said, "Bullshit!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 915
You deserved it 1 716

Same thing different taste

Top comments

askullnamedbilly 33

Yeah, you don't need that guy in your life. Even if you did make up after that conversation, someone who thinks a mood disorder is 'bullshit' will never give you the support you deserve and need.

The amount of ignorance your "best" friend possess is astonishing. You deserve better friends who understand your mental illness.

Comments

askullnamedbilly 33

Yeah, you don't need that guy in your life. Even if you did make up after that conversation, someone who thinks a mood disorder is 'bullshit' will never give you the support you deserve and need.

I have the same disorder, and sadly he's probably not the first person you'll lose. Remember you're loved and important and you'll be okay

Sounds like he's a bit immature, he's probably not a good influence unless/until he can understand your disorder. Good luck OP!

aliciousness116 16

People don't understand how serious bipolar depression is and how it affect one's life. It's not your fault. If he's your best friend, he should be by your side and help you hand in hand to make you feel better. Take care of yourself OP. I hope you find friends who are worthy, to understand this and not leave you at your worst times. :)

People also don't tend to realize how easy it is to act like you have a condition when you don't so unless OP has a doctors referral them in siding with the friend here this is someone who has actually been diagnosed with depression

As someone also diagnosed with depression, it's not exactly rare. Actually pretty common. I can't say anything about this specific depression, though, but it's not very rare and Id say more people have it than people claiming to. It's more other mental illnesses that get that issue.

Actually I think bipolar disorder is one of the MOST misunderstood conditions. Bipolar disorder is NOT mood swings. It is severe bouts of depression or mania. Hence the real name, manic-depressive disorder. I know too many people who have claimed to have it and definitely don't. Being sad or down one minute and super happy the other is NOT bipolar disorder. That's mood swings.

The amount of ignorance your "best" friend possess is astonishing. You deserve better friends who understand your mental illness.

tash901 31

I'm really sorry to hear that, but you don't need someone like that in your life. Unfortunately a lot of people still do not understand mental illness :/. You'll find better friends than him. Good luck :)

Keep fighting OP. There are people out there who embrace us bipolar mood swings and everything. (:

People are just ignorant. No point trying to convince anyone, they either get it or they don't. Surround yourself with tolerant people

Yep. (: It took me a long time to realise that though, in my teens I thought I had to tolerate assholes because of my mental issues. Yay for good people.

Sorry I just have a question, I don't mean to insult anyone, and if I do, I'm sorry. I got molested by my best friend, told my brother what happened, and then this year, my brother decides to invite him over, and left the next day by plane, forcing me to let the guy sleep over. So I tell my friend what happened, and she says that it's not my brother's fault, since he is bipolar. But is it though? I just wanted to know, thanks.

Bipolar isn't an excuse for not having any moral judgement. I can only speak for my experience but when I'm manic or depressed I tend to only hurt myself not my loved ones. I'm sorry your brother did that. Or at the very least I hope he apologised afterward and realised how badly he'd ****** up.

aelarol 5

I love to go and have all moods and feelings. It's real ecstasy :D

No, it is his fault. He had his judgement over what he chose to do to you

bananassin 25

I don't think that person is enough of a friend for you to call them "your best friend". He's an asshole OP, you deserve better than that. Real friends are the ones who support you and will try to help you instead of leaving you behind.

Lizza330 28

I don't know why you would want to have them as a friend if they're going to treat you like that. Friends are supposed to be there for you. This person is not going to help you when you need support.

Doesn't sound like much of a best friend to me. Best of luck finding a new one.

I can empathize with your friend, OP. I have a friend in a wheel chair who tried to explain to me why they couldn't come mountain-biking. My dyslexic friend wouldn't help edit my novel, and my colorblind friend acts like they can't even see the objects (of nearly identical hue) in my paintings! I refuse to put up with their bullshit.