By CircusSea - 05/11/2012 00:02 - Puerto Rico - Carolina

Today, I work on a cruise ship, and I just learned that we have a morgue on board. How did I learn that? It's right next to the crew laundry room, and I opened the wrong door. It was occupied. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 001
You deserved it 1 915

Same thing different taste

Top comments

To the people asking why there's a morgue. A cruise is in the middle of the sea. If someone dies suddenly, what are they going to do with the body until they get back to port? It's sensible to have one!

Comments

It's probably a much more common than people assume. When you think about it, cruise ships sometimes have more than a thousand people on board for days and days. And old retirees are a huge proportion of cruise ship customers. Got to keep the body somewhere refrigerated until they get back to a port. Passengers dying on-board planes is worse (and that happens too) but in a plane you can't really do much except cover them in a blanket and maybe move the body to another seat until landing.

My dad died mid flight on a plane... We moved him to the back row, and put a blanket over him for the next three hours, till we landed. Worse flight of my life!

Sorry Tuffay, I can't begin to imagine what that must've been like for you x

amerikaninfidel 2

Where would be a non-idiot place to put the morgue? Typically they are placed next to the kitchen so that all the electrical and gas lines required for the cooling process can be in a central location I stead of all over the damn place.

jayhawkchik 4

Generally it directly below the kitchen for this reason... Thus also explaining why the laundry room is next door.

vannahlol 6

How are people so surprised about this....?

Makes sense that they have one and that it isn't advertised... Who wants to know?

Well... it is logical to have a morgue on a cruise ship. You just have to be prepared for the worst - if some passenger dies. You can not throw him into the sea like the medieval sailors did :-)

jayhawkchik 4

There is ALWAYS a morgue on board! Do people think that people only die when they are NOT on vacation. They are required to have one as burial at sea as a common practice died out centuries ago. Duh!

HighlandShadows 48

How many people are dying over the course of a cruise that they need to have a morgue?

#61 - even if only one in a year, you can not know if it happens on YOUR cruise ship, so you have to have a morgue there.

PhishloverA 14

What kind of cruise ship has a morgue in it