By yawning - 01/02/2011 20:14 - Australia

Today, I woke up at 3am to go to work. This will be my new routine from now on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 933
You deserved it 9 871

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And I'm assuming you get off roughly eight hours later and have the rest of the day to yourself? Congratulations on having a job.

This website's point is to post anecdotes that you think make your life shitty. If we looked at each FML the way you do with this one, for example with an anecdote posted by a man about his girlfriend, we would see in the comments things like " Well not everybody has a girlfriend. You do, so just shut the **** up ! "

Comments

Privations_fml 0

Unless you're working under a whip and shackles, I suggest you shut the hell up.

be grateful you have a job. would you prefer sleeping in until 10 am and not being able to pay your bills?

Wow, booooo hoo, cry more. I've handed resumes and applications to about 50 locations , regular jobs and jobs relating to my career. Nothing for a month.

#18 Lots of people have been unemployed for far longer than that...

18 - One month? Oh jeez. You poooooor thing. I don't look as often as Nerds does, but I look at least every few weeks for jobs. I'm currently full time in school so it's hard to look an awful lot, and there aren't many jobs offered that cater to my schedule. I've been out of a job for over a year... I have no sympathy for you. There are people who are worse off than I am, but one month is nothing.

One month is a big deal if you have a lot to lose.

72 - But that's why it's recommended to have a savings account "just in case". That way if you're out for a month or two, you have something to fall back on instead of being screwed royally up the arse.

y'all some dumbasses, we ain't in a recession anymore so stfu

Actually, we are, which makes you the dumb-ass. I think you should go research this...

TheDrifter 23

You might wanna double check. The USA as a whole came out of "recession" as of the third quarter last year. Some states have been in recession for a decade. The lost jobs are not back yet though, nor are they likely to come back quickly. The last two years have added so much cost and red tape to business expansion that not many can do it.

I found an article a few weeks ago detailing the fact that we're on the upward motion of the recession. But, most recessions double-dip and we have yet to do that. Which means, we're not technically out of the recession.

Even when we come out of the recession, the economy won't immediately bounce back. Things will still suck for quite some time in terms of job availability.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean for this kind of reply. It was just as a comparison to the OP. I know a month of unemployment isn't that much compared to others, I'm just not a very optimistic kind of guy.

tjv3 10

suck it up OP and welcome to life. I'm on call 24/7/365 on top of my normal work hours. it's called the real world. Welcome to it

Wow, let's bitch about our work hours when you probably knew what they would be before they hired you. You're lucky you have a job.

xundria 5

The next time I see someone say "Atleast you got a job, wah wah wah" I think I'm going to blow a gasket. Seriously, maybe these people who don't have a job should get off their lazy ass and stop living off MY tax dollars and find a job. Look around people, people are hiring EVERYWHERE. McDonalds and Burger King are CONSTANTLY hiring. It's a job, is it not? It makes money, it may not be the best but it's still better than nothing. It's called laziness, monster.com and other related websites are posting a ton of job positions daily. Or better yet, if these so called people can't get a job is because they have no degree and no high school diploma than that's their problem. I worked my ass off to finish high school (while working full time to pay for my own things), I also worked full time while going to college.

#22 Yes, working at a fast food restaurant is a job. But do you know why McDonalds and Burger King are constantly hiring? Because it's a crappy, minimum-wage job where people are constantly quitting.

I think most of the people saying that do have a job actually.

xundria 5

#25, Yes this is true, but the fact remains valid that they're still a job. The fact that people complain that they have no job and sit on their couch instead of doing something, ANYTHING is what pisses me off. I pay taxes for other people to sit on their ass and mooch off of it? I'm currently in a situation where I have to support my mother on a shitty job making almost minimum wage, and I'm trying to get a better job. I'm also considering a second job which will more than likely be at a fast food place... Do I want to work at one? Not a chance, but will I? Yes, I will do what's necessary to survive. I know people my age that are working 2 or even 3 jobs to make ends meet. It's called laziness, and it pisses me off.

#30 I admittedly moan a bit about not having a job, but I don't sit on my ass. I apply for jobs constantly-- at least a few every day.

xundria 5

#34 Well then kudos to you. There are a lot of people that do nothing about it though, and it's really sickening. I understand that some people may find it hard to find a job, but the thing is there are jobs out there, and it's better to have SOME income than none, yes? I also find it funny that people are voting down my comments. I guess I'm hitting some people close to home with this.

xundria 5

#38, I like this idea... as soon as I find these said magical brownies, I'll get started on it.

#38 If it were legal, I would admittedly consider it... :P

@ # 22 wah wah people cry about not having a job, while you have one? That makes all those people people lazy amirite? I graduated high school, and I graduated my degree program WITH HONORS ABOVE 95%. I can't get a job in my profession. I am always beat out by someone with experience. Most places around here either aren't interested in me because im not qualified, don't have enough experience or am too independant thinking. I believe it was future shop that I had to take a personality test for and they told me I wasn't their kind of person. Yes, I could go work at McDonalds, but I'd be fired so fast because IM CLUMSY. I would not do well in any food service. You think its okay to pay someone $8.00 an hour when a bus pass costs $80? After taxes thats like 12 hours worth of work, or 3 days? (Most places around here are 4 hours a day) A liter of gas is 1.20? A gallon 4.50? People don't work at those jobs because its cheaper for them to stay at home. Hell, I worked at Zellers for 3 years when I was in highschool, got a raise each year, one year I got bumped up 1 dollar an hour! ..... to match the new minimum wage. People don't work these jobs beause they are treated like second class citizens. Show me $10 canadian minimum or I walk.

xundria 5

In reply to 43, and to clarify my earlier comments I was not trying be an asshole, neither was I generalizing. I was not saying that ALL people who are jobless are NOT looking and ARE lazy. I know it seemed like that, so my apologies for that. What I WAS saying is that there are people out there that would rather live off of welfare or unemployment than finding a job because they are too damn lazy. And guess what 43, I make $8 an hour lifting heavy boxes and doing grunt work after going to college. It's a very shitty job but I'm doing it until I can find a better one, it's better than having no job at all. If I had no job at all I wouldn't be able to buy groceries pay for my internet and pay for my other necessities.

#46 it happens its the internet and things always get pushed/sound different than intended. Unfortunately, me weighing 98 pounds and 5'5", means lifting boxes is out of the question. I wasn't built for 'grunt work'.

43 - That's interesting. I worked at Future Shop myself and they never made me do a personality test. Also, minimum in Canada is now $10.25 for adults. Just food for thought. 46 - Unemployment runs out though, and they do request that you actively look for (and prove that you are looking for) a job. You need to prove that you've looked for x number of jobs in the past ... month? I think? It's been a while since I was on it myself. Secondly, where do you find time to do homework if you work full time while in college full time? I understand there are evening and online classes offered... but that's not for all courses. My program requires me to be in class during the day - there are no evening or online options (save for the online option for one of my classes, which turns out to be more work than the in-class). Finally, some families offer to contribute and help support the post-secondary students in the family IF they can afford it. I was lucky enough to have my dad offer to let me live here and offer to support me, at least for part of the duration of my post-secondary.

xundria 5

#57: I went to college during the night and worked full time hours during the day. I worked from 7 am to 5 pm and then immediately went to school from 5:30pm to however late my class lasted (usually until 9pm). It lead for a very long day, I didn't go to a university so I didn't have homework. But there are people that do, I know a lot of people that go to universities and work full time and still make good grades, it's a very rough life. Also family support is nice but not everyone gets it, I wasn't fortunate enough for that. Unfortunately, according to the government even though your family isn't helping you at all, they still take their income into consideration. My dad made about $44,000 which was apparently too much for me to receive and pelgrant so now I have a $19,000 tuition to pay off.

I'd be terrified I wouldn't be able to keep up to the demands. I burn out easily. :/ It seems more manageable to do it your way - one during the day and the other at night. However, I attend college and I do have homework, and lots of it. Maybe colleges are different where I live compared to where you live.

xundria 5

They might be. I wouldn't know how a university works, I've never attended one. I didn't do too well in High School because of the mandatory classes and what not, so I went to a technical college for the skill I want to study... I didn't want to be forced to take history and science classes as they have nothing to do with my field of interest.

#57, 10.25? When did this happen?! Im looking at the Government of BC website and it still says 8.00 an hour is minimum, and with the new HST it only makes 8.00 even more pathetic. Which further proves my point that 8.00 is moot. Im not expecting a lot, my last job was only 12.00 an hour, but i was promptly fired after 6 weeks because they couldnt afford to keep my position since there was no one coming in anymore.

Ah, see they do pertain to my field of interest. Which, quite frankly, sucks since I don't enjoy History or Philosophy. Perhaps the difference is that you went to a trades school instead. I'm almost certain (but don't take my word as I'm not entirely sure) that there are both colleges for school work, similar to university, and trade schools for work, like where you attended. The difference between the university and college in my area is this: the university is more theory-based while the college is more hands-on. Both still require homework to be done, though. 68 - My mistake. Wasn't sure if minimum was universal across Canada or not. It's $10.25 in Ontario. I was under the impression it was the same, but apparently not! Haha.

xundria 5

Gotcha, my teachers all understood and didn't give us homework. Most of them have lived the life of going to school and working full time to be able to make it so they were very lenient in that area, maybe I was just lucky with nice teachers. =P And you guys are lucky that it's that. The minimum wage here is $7.25. Then again however, if minimum wage goes up so does cost of living because they have to make more to pay the employees more so it's all relative really. In the end you and I may live a similar life making minimum wage (maybe not I don't know.)

That's true. I hate what they're doing in Ontario... they've raised minimum by a dollar or so for the past several years. :/ Probably why we haven't worked ourselves out of the recession yet! You are lucky, by the way. At least by my standards... my teachers have been giving us 2-4 hours of homework a night this semester. Last semester was an hour or two. Brutal.

Yeah, but the minimum wage for students (under 18) in Ontario is still $9.60... which sucks. :/ Especially when you're in a higher position than someone else and they get paid more just because they're older. When you have to buy a car and pay for school it's a killer.

xundria 5

I was very lucky I wasn't laid off, though! I work for an oilfield company down in Louisiana, and because of the moratorium our president put into place, our business went down the hole. I've been working at the same place for 2 and a half years and making $8 an hour, so it's very depressing. But I have no room to complain, because I could look for a better job. =P I don't want to be a hypocrite.

xundria 5

#78 Yeah, that can be very painful.

I'm a baker, so I can sympathize. Baking = early. Lots of people have the same schedule you do, however! I know a baker who goes to bed at 6am and wakes up at 1am...So it could be worse, OP!

Oops, I meant that she goes to bed at 6 PM and wakes up at 1am. She doesn't work 1am to 6am...That would indeed be a decent shift. She works WAY longer than that!

that's okay. at least you have a job and getting income. be happy :)

Not everybody works 24/7/365, I'm sure you know that ... So imagine he has always had a "normal" schedule (by this I mean one that makes you work at day and sleep at night .. ), you can understand that he's not that happy with his new schedule and that he doesn't get used to it straightaway. Im sure you can.