By ineedayob - 18/05/2013 20:36 - United States - La Mesa

Today, I went for an interview regarding a seasonal position I'd been offered at a grocery store. The manager showed up 45 minutes past the scheduled interview time, cheerfully greeted me, and took me back to his office, just to tell me that they don't hire seasonal help. Ever. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 909
You deserved it 3 761

Same thing different taste

Top comments

toughchick14 15

I feel like they should tell people in advance that they don't offer seasonal positions or at least have the courtesy to show up on time. Sorry OP better luck next time!

olpally 32

Should've left after waiting 45 minutes, that tells you it was a shit store to work for and the manager is already being a douche. Keep searching.

Comments

Unless you're desperately in need of money, you're probably better off. With a manager that unprofessional would you really want to work there?

If I was still a teenager I'd totally want to work for that kind of slack-ass place. If the manager can't even be on time for an interview he's going to be otherwise occupied instead of looking for me to clean up the spilled olive oil on aisle 3.

He may have been friendly, but he could've at least been courteous enough to let you know these things in advance.

Take the job and put your two weeks notice at the end of the season. Add on your note, "leaving partly for making me wait 45 minutes that day ahole!".

If you read the FML correctly you'll notice OP said they don't hire seasonal help.

To be fair, owls aren't known for their reading skills. Why else would Wizards use them for the mail? A parrot or crow would probably read all the letters before delivering them.

It's ok you guys, I don't blame you for being stupid. I was clearly saying that OP could take a full time or part time position and quit when OP is ready, which in OP's case, would be at the end of the season. Poor kids must have been C average students in high school.

You should have started with "if they offered you a regular position then..." so people would understand you can read and interpret correctly. Also, don't insult the people who down voted you, you were unclear in your post and you can't blame people for not understanding exactly what you meant.

65 - You're absolutely right. I was quite rude. lol

Visit them on Christmas Eve, look them dead in their tired, hollow eyes and buy a box of hot cocoa. Pay for it in coins. Don't forget to complain about their piss poor customer service.

Or just move on with your life. Whatevs.

Yeah, it's not the employees' fault that their boss likes to waste others' time.

Why punish the poor employees? It's bad enough they have to work for such a terrible person.

I meant the manager, of course, the other employees have nothing to do with it. Given it's a grocery store it's likely OP will see the manager himself.

Maybe they just don't have any yobs available.

I'm wondering if he took you back in to his office to see if you have what it takes to change his mind about opening up a position. If you know what I mean.

lishajoy777 14

Damn. having to wait that long AND not getting the job?! fyl

They were probably betting on how long you'd stay. The over/under was probably like 30 minutes.

Apply everywhere. It's tough to find a job nowadays right away. It takes time, effort & knowing what to do to be a good candidate. Work on making an amazing résumé, sound sophisticated but don't lie. You don't need to lie if you know how to write. Then apply & start to follow up by calling locations, asking questions, & showing up in person. Résumé needs 5 sections: Summary/Objective, Skills/Qualifications, Work Experience/History, Education, References. Summary is a short paragraph describing you as an individual, your outlook & goals when it comes to seeking work. Skills are a list of things you can do, relevant to the jobs you apply for. Work experience, describe whatever experience you have working or doing volunteer work if you've never had a job, but don't make a mistake of skipping this, this is important, I'm sure you've done babysitting, extra curricular activities at school or random volunteer work. Education, you fill in schools you've went to, the address & dates you attended those schools. References, have 3 people's number, address & email who can speak well of you when employers call (most employers don't this, they just ask for this, they rather call your past employers). The part a lot of people do wrong from my experience is Skills on their résumé. People don't know what to put down besides what they find online: self efficient, problem solving, quick learner, etc, great to write in your objective/ summary section to describe who you are but it doesn't explain what you are capable of doing. Skills I put on my résumé include: Can type 60 WPM (office requirement), English Proficient, Can lift 25 lbs (restaurant/barista/retail requirement), knows basic math (cashier requirement), etc. they're things I can do & they can relate to many jobs. Sorry, it's long but I do hope this helps OP find a job. From experience this is how I nailed jobs without connections, even in my area where it's high competition. I did it all on my own, it's do-able but it takes a bit longer. Just remember to have a positive out look to have a positive likable attitude employers will like. Be confident in yourself too. You'll find a job in no time.

This definitely ranks among the leaders in the "Longest Comment in FML History" Award.

uhmaizing 3

Uneducated jobs are quite vast actually. Educated jobs notso. Also, I think 5 sections is a bit much. And references should be seperate. Unless you have been in a professional position for like 10 years, it should not be more than one page. Im not a career counselor, so i am not 100% sure.