By anonymous - 16/07/2015 22:21 - United Kingdom - London

Today, I watched a young shop assistant try her hardest to flirt with my 20-year-old son. When he continued to be totally oblivious, she outright invited him back to her flat. When he asked, "What for?" a piece of my soul died at how completely I have failed as a father. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 190
You deserved it 5 164

Top comments

"Wanna come **** me?" "Err...what are the benefits?"

Some people are just completely oblivious about flirting, doesn't mean they don't know about sex. Besides, it may be all a show because his dad is right there! It's awkward.

Comments

CaroAurelia 12

Better oblivious than a horn dog, I say. And I agree that being oblivious to flirting doesn't mean he doesn't know about sex. I know about sex but if someone was flirting with me, I wouldn't pick up on it (in part because it pretty much never happens). But really, why are you so eager to get your son laid, and with a random woman? Let him do his own thing.

BaDumTsss_fml 23
Badkarma4u 17

Maybe she was hot to your older eyes, but to a 20 year old she was not all that.

well, to me son seems more mature than the father.

I think you need to do some introspection, OP. Your son might be straight, but not interested in this woman or one night stands. He might be gay and not interested in women at all. He might be assexual and not interested in anyone sexually. Or maybe none of these are true and he just didn't feel comfortable accepting it in front of you or in that setting. Even if he is straight and interested in flings and was just oblivious to her flirting, there is nothing wrong with that. Please accept your son as he is. As long as he's kind, polite and law-abiding you have NOT failed as a father.

Well said. He might also be in a monogamous relationship, but is not ready to share it with the family yet.

To be fair, I was equally oblivious to women at that age. I had ladies behaving similarly and their advances went entirely over my head. Things kind of clicked when I got my first boyfriend though.

wait so your gay? your soul will burn in the depths of hell blah blah blah more judgmental anti gay religious bullshit I don't buy into blah blah good for you live how you want to live. it's no one else God damn place to judge.

Or he was ignoring her flirting because he wasn't interested.

He's 20, I think he can handle himself.

Some guys have all the luck with women but too dumb to realize it. You didn't fail as a father op I think your son is just slow when it comes to women.