By paid to scoop ice cream not nana-sit - 17/06/2016 03:13 - United States - Fall River

Today, I was working when my boss left briefly, leaving me with her elderly, senile mother. Not only did I have to chase her when she ran after a stranger on the road, I turned my back for 5 seconds to do my actual job and she walked off. When my boss returned, I had to tell her I lost her mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 045
You deserved it 1 103

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You need to get her one of those kid leashes and just tie it to something so she doesn't wonder off. Sorry about the misfortune OP :P

That sucks OP. I hope your boss was understanding and that you did eventually find her. Old people can go bonkers. Best of luck!

Comments

I would like to know how on earth a senile old lady could outrun a presumably middle aged person.

Have you ever seen how fast the elderly move around at Kmart - Walmart ... Give them a cart, and lighting speed finds them... I've lost my mother there on more than one occasion.

I assume you're not working in big company, because bosses only give this kind of assignments in small companies. Mostly they take advantage of their employees.

How is this anything but ydi? If you agree to watch, you are responsible. Was your mistake to agree to watch though.

OP never said they "agreed" to anything.

How far could an old woman have gotten in 5 min ?

You shouldn't have been left alone with her. Taking care of someone, especially a senile person, is an enormous responsibility. I hope everything turned out well and that you didn't suffer any repercussions.

To the people asking why the boss brought their mother to work, there's a lot of potential reasons. They could be worried about nursing home abuse, which is a growing problem. They could not have the money for a sitter or nursing home. The person who usually watches her could have been ill or out of town. They might not believe in nursing homes. Which isn't to say I agree with the boss's decision to bring her to work- it isn't safe to brings someone that is senile to a public location. They can get lost in seconds, because they think they know where they are but their memories aren't accurate. Plus people have and do kidnap the elderly. So the boss probably had reasons, but it was still a bad decision.

And that, boss, is how I lost your mother.

Dealing with dementia and individuals with dementia can be challenging. Don't blame the victim, no matter how challenged you feel.

Let's hope you didn't start off well you see what happened was????? Next time put a tracker on her or a beeper hell even a leash. You know they have those things for kids. They should make hem for adults.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

That's not your job. This is why they have professional caretakers. It was inappropriate for him to leave her there.