By waitress - 12/04/2009 02:07 - United States

Today, I was waitressing when a man sat at my table with soda from somewhere else. Drinks are half the profit for restaurants. There is a strict policy that you have to charge for carry-in drinks. I told him this, he yelled at me so I told him I was doing my job. I got fired, for doing my job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 642
You deserved it 4 272

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks. I can't believe you got fired for following company policy.

I work in retail, so I know your pain when you have a horrible customer. They threaten you and try to make you feel like a peasant. All you have to do is wait until your shift ends to do something. Nothing says "owned" better than a flat tire.

Comments

That sucks. I can't believe you got fired for following company policy.

kelseyf94 0

yes this is true. i would hate to work for ur boss...oppps errr i meen ex boss:(

lobstar 0

That makes no sense. There has to be more to this story. Were you rude to him by any chance, that he complained to management?

jpbackus 0

That does make sense. People are douchebags, they can and will go off the handel if they feel even a little offended. Plus the world if full of sh*tty bosses who don't know how to handle situations properly.

Very true. I work in the photo lab at my local Walmart and one of the biggest company policies we have is that we can't sell any pictures that even resemble professional pictures without a copyright release. I had a lady come in a couple days ago and she didn't have the copyright release with her, so I told her we can hold the pictures for her until she gets the release. "Hell no I'm not coming back to this joint just to get my pictures." I kept them anyway because I figured she'd be back... Two hours later, she's back with the release. Our card reader on one register is messed up so I tell her I have to swipe her card on my side of the register. "Hell no you're not touching my card." - "Ok, ma'am, that's fine. We can do it on the other register once it's free." - "Turn your name badge around so I can get your name right when I call her manager." I tell her my name and turn my badge around. Then she says this... "I really hope someone treats you like this when you go shopping the next time because you treated me like pure shit today." I just said, "I'm sorry, ma'am" and handed her the pictures. My manager just clocked out a little while before and was in line behind the lady, so she heard everything. Should've seen her face... She was even more shocked than I was, I think, and told me not to worry about it because she'd vouch for me if the lady did call, which she never did.

I work in retail, so I know your pain when you have a horrible customer. They threaten you and try to make you feel like a peasant. All you have to do is wait until your shift ends to do something. Nothing says "owned" better than a flat tire.

SpunkT 0

#4 Yeah cutting people's tires is a great way to get back. Grow up. People suck, but working in retail or food service you have to just get over that. Or do something else. I'm a little confused as to why you got fired for enforcing company policy. Or why you charge for drinks people bring in. The restaurants I've worked in we just asked people to put them away. Charging is a sort of a dick move on the restaurants part. I know that drinks are highly profitable, but half the profit? Really? A lot of people just get water now anyway. Unless you're a bar and grill I don't see how it's half the profit. But hey I don't know how your place works.. so...that sucks anyway.

#5 I do believe it's immature, but I do not take it lightly when I'm being threatened by someone. They need to realize that just because your going to school and have a shit job doesn't mean you don't exist.

No, #9, they're not. After working in the food industry, I've realized that a majority of customers are complete idiots who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've gone to deliver food to a customer, and have them vehemently deny ever ordering it while cussing me out, only to have them angrily call me back 10 minutes later demanding to know where their food is. Customers tend to be idiots who just *think* that they're right, and corporate let's them think that so they can make money off of them.

#7 That's only true when it affects the bottom line.

I think you might be stretching the truth here...

Actually no, people are rude, crazy, moronic and down right evil. I work at Taco Bell and i have been over a year. I've met complete morons who make the blond girl in dumb blond jokes look like a rocket scientist. I've met people who seem to believe that we're Burger King or some other restaurant, and demand i give them a hamburger. I've had kids throw stuff at me. I've had people basically steel from us and we can't do anything abut it. I've met a woman that yelled at me for smiling at her, called me a rude racist, and became more and more agitated when I didn't give her the satisfaction of me reacting negatively toward her. So don't even tell me that she could be stretching the truth because you have faith in all of humanity.

dz_zb 0

YDI for following policy that nobody else gives a **** about.

Seriously? You basically just said "You deserve it for doing your job and following the rules!"

Truthbringer 0

alcohalic drinks are half the profit, sodas affect the bottom line about as much as garnish does, you got fired because you don't know the difference between a coke and a rum and coke, and you're a waitress.