By Anonymous - 12/11/2012 06:14 - United States

Today, I was visiting family in Oregon. I did not know it was illegal to pump your own gas; the cops were involved. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 555
You deserved it 2 553

Same thing different taste

Top comments

loserboii 11

"Sir we just need you to stop pumping your own gas." "Why can't I pump my own gas?" "Target isn't replying, shoot to kill!"

Seems odd to me that the worker would call the police before just letting you know. Unless they were passing by of course.

Comments

crazytwinsmom 25

I miss that! Might have to move to Oregon.

banta98 5

Now that's just the stupidest law, FYL

connerwonner 7

I dunno, the one about it being illegal to ride an ugly horse in Alabama is pretty darn stupid. How do you even judge the beauty of a horse? Are there Equine Attractiveness Inspectors who inspect horses and say "nope, that horse is too ugly, you can't ride it in public"?

I guess they have nothing better to do over there in Oregon. What no criminals?

Oh we have criminals... They are the guys who pump your gas

gmaniac93 7

OP I'm calling bullshit I used to live in New Jersey and I pumped my own gas all the time and the gas station attendants couldn't give two *****.

Yes, because NJ and Oregon are definitely similar in size, location, and ratio of douchebags to normal humans.

Knessler 1

Yes because there are no such things as state and local laws.

gmaniac93 7

They both have the same full service law state wide, and NJ probably has a lot more douchebags than Oregon.

Seems like Oregon has more douchebags if they're calling the cops and NJ isn't.

acetheone 8

That's just weird, what is so illegal about it if you're paying.

LemonLolly 10

I'm from Oregon, and I don't even know. I think because some dude blew up a gas station once, but I think that's a rumor

I've been yelled at in Oregon for pumping my own gas, sorry you had the cops called OP.

rlTlk 13

I'm from Oregon and even though it is against the law to do it a lot of people will put the pump in their car wait for the attendant to start the pump then take it out themselves when it's done.. So idk where you were in Oregon but only if you made scene about it they might call..? But the laws for public safety and to prevent drive offs since it will pump gas before you pay if you select to fill it. So it probably was the first assumption that you were trying to steal gas

Most gas stations I go to make you pay for gas before you pump, and the pump shuts off once you hit the amount you paid for, so that prevents drive offs. As far as the public safety concern goes, that's utter bullshit... If they really thought that pumping your own is so dangerous that it requires special training, why not just offer that training to the public, and then people that want can get certified in gas pumping. The union comment made earlier is the only way this shit makes sense....

In Australia you can pump your own gas and you pay after you fill I have never seen someone drive away.

That has to be one of the weirdest laws I ever heard of in the states :S guess there's lots of gas thiefs in Oregon lol

UltimateGIRness 16

In Georgia, it's illegal to eat chicken with a fork. That's the weirdest I've heard

BeaterOfTheDrums 15

In Oregon it's also legal to smoke marijuana on your own property, but illegal to buy/sell/produce it. I still don't understand it.

Lanae_Grier 0

"He's pumping his own gas?!" Whoa, we got a badass over here!

New Jersey has the same laws, but I never heard of anyone getting the cops called on them for pumping their own gas.