By Anonymous - 02/10/2014 04:47 - United States - Olive Branch

Today, I was talking to my brother about how careless people are. Minutes later, I shocked myself with my dog's shock-collar. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 913
You deserved it 35 669

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Good! Now you'll know how your dog feels if you chose to use such a cruel device. There are much better ways to train your pet than shocking them to obey.

Comments

Glad you felt the pain your dog feels... I'm not even a dog lover but feel that's just down right cruel!!!

And that is why you leave the collar in your dog.. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

There's this thing called positive reinforcement, which is much more effective than shocking your dog to get them to obey.

orbit 22

Even with positive reinforcement you need something to tell them they are doing something wrong. Weather it be noises, corrective collars, flicking their nose, etc. With shock collars the dog sees it as an outside force stopping him from doing what he is doing, and not the owner. So in my eyes it is a reasonable form of training.

Razi_tail 25

110 instead of teaching what not to do, positive reinforcement teaches them what to do. Basically instead of always saying "no don't do that" or "no that's wrong" without any instruction (as shock collars give ZERO instruction on what the right thing to do is) PR tells the animal "yes that's correct!" What do you think would be more effective? You go to a new job and every time you try to use a machine you get shocked. The boss wants to to get your work done but doesn't give you feedback on what to do. After a while you will eventually give up and walk away because you continually got shocked. Your boss is furious and you don't know why or what you did wrong. That is how the dog feels with "training" with shock collars. PR gives you rewards for doing something right where shock collars only "reward" you without getting a painful shock.

There is absolutely NO need for you to use a shock collar. Only people I knew that ever used them were lazy owners who couldn't be bothered to train their dogs properly with repeated praise/scolding. Your dog deserves better, and you deserve what happened. I hope it hurt.

every dog has a day..karma shocked you today... I hope you will stop using that on that poor dog...

PoisonOrchid 21

This was my first thought too after I laughed. I know several people that have shock collars made for pets, but used for very different reasons...

LavenderCrow 12

Stop judging OP. Just because some people don't agree with using a shock collar doesn't mean it's not a viable method of training. Every dog is different and responds differently to training techniques. If I'd used a shock collar on my previous dog, he would have been devastated. I use one now on my current dog because he's the most hard-headed bastard I've ever owned. I would trust that his owner (hopefully) knows what they're doing and uses it accordingly, not excessively.

Zizek 2

I hope you got a massage how it is and stop using it! Use brains with training your dog, not force!!!