By NotDrunk - 04/04/2015 00:42 - United States - San Antonio

Today, I was pulled over by a policeman. He thought I was drunk, after doing the "walk in a straight line" test and the "finger-to-nose" test. It wasn't until after I got a fine that I got it through to him that I have cerebellar ataxia, and that I wasn't drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 021
You deserved it 2 606

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should definitely be able to appeal the fine, especially if he gave it to you without a breathalyzer test as concrete proof

askullnamedbilly 33

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but how are you even allowed to drive a car with a condition that affects your coordination and balance? That doesn't sound safe at all.

Comments

I don't think you should be able to drive in the first place with a condition like that. But like the others said, you can definitely appeal for the fine.

who the he'll made you God of disabled pdrivers? who cares if you don't think op should drive?

No one "made him God" of anything. He is allowed to express his opinion of feeling unsafe. Stop being so dramatic.

snarkytruth 37

Dr's don't want the liability of determining if a patient is competent esp. for a disease that deteriorates over time. Safe today may not be safe in a month or even a week. Conversely they hate to take away keys some even turn a blind eye. They don't have any equipment to prove a persons driving skills while they're in that grey zone of fine and dangerous. Most people keep driving any way until they have a close call or accident. Not all city's have great or affordable public transport.

Those tests are designed to make you fail its bs

Sounds like someone's bitter over a few DUIs...

I agree with you about that, even if you are sober you will fail. Don't let the cops pressure and/or intimidate you into taking the field sobriety tests, they are not admissible in court and you are not obligated to take them. Simply ask for a blood test, it is the only sure way and there is a chance the cop will grow tired of waiting for the blood test at the hospital and simply let you go.

1) Take it to court 2) Carry a doctor's note in you car to avoid complications

Sadly, this isn't the worst I've heard.. There was a guy in my city with CP who got tazed by a cop who thought he was drunk... And for all saying 'shouldn't drive with that condition-MYOB.' You able bodied people have NO idea what its like in our bodies. If we can do something don't slow us down with your judgement, please.

I'm sorry, but people with that condition just should not be driving. I respect people with disabilities but understand that when it endangers others on the road,then they should not be driving. The blind have a disability that puts others at risk. do you believe that the blind should drive?

you respect people with disabilities, yet you've no problem discriminating against them. everyone deserves the same opportunities and quality of life that a "healthy" person would have.

PS - their probably a safer driver than you since they know their own condition. But comparing the blind to CP... hahaha you're a smart cookie aren't ya

so, back to the blind example: you believe that someone that CANNOT SEE should drive?

not once did I say that. blindness comes in different levels. theres many people who are "blind" and fully capable of driving under certain restrictions. Wouldn't surprise me if OP is probably a better driver than you are. while we're at it, should morbidly obese people not be allowed to drive as it's harder for them to shoulder check. people with a prosthetic arm/leg, people who have anxiety an so forth. you seem pretty ignorant to me.

Whyismydogcrazy 5

Before I had Lasik, without my glasses I was legally blind. So you know what I did? I wore my glasses! Could see just fine with them on. So I wore them all the time from the time I got up until I went to bed, except in the shower lol #42 who thinks people with conditions should not be driving - I think comments like that are pretty funny considering all the things able-bodied people still do while driving, and no-one bats an eye.

I never said ALL disabilities. only those that make driving dangerous. OP was clearly all over the road or else would not have been pulled over. they should not be driving.

If a cop behind you thinks you're drunk from your lack of coordination, enough so that you get pulled over, it's not really a judgement to think you may be a dangerous driver.

This was meant as a response to 41. My bad.

Id say i feel sorry for you, but i need to know what that is first and im too lazy to find out soooooo....

Ok, if that is the case, then don't say anything, asshole. You have no idea how your comment could effect the OP and who's to say it hasn't done something already. There is a time to say something and a time to keep you goddamn mouth shut, so I'm gonna let you guess what time it is, prick.

It sucks that you got the fine and that you have cerebellar ataxia (sorry OP) but you gotta understand that cops have a quota that they have to meet by a certain time or else they get their pay cut *or at least that's how they do it here* and I'm not saying you deserved it bud, I'm just saying that cops are people too and they too make honest mistakes...but keep your chin up and live knowing that you can be proud of yourself because YOU know that you didn't deserve the punishment and that YOU are just as good of a person as everyone else.

In a non-backwards normal country we have something called breathalysers

I'm completely baffled by the fact that the US thinks of itself as a world superpower yet stills uses these outdated and incomplete measures to test if someone is drink driving. Why are breathalysers not used in the first instance like they are everywhere else in the world?