By shaunaaa - 17/02/2011 10:39 - Australia

Today, I was in science class studying dead insects for biology. After packing away the jars, I noticed a red-back spider on the bench. Thinking it was missing from a jar, I picked it up. It wasn't missing. It was alive. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 309
You deserved it 5 339

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Also this is Australia. AKA the Land of Everything Trying To Kill You. I assume the spider is venomous.

it's poisonous. obviously op would be scared. they can kill ppl

Comments

ideasrule 13

Oh come on, you picked up a SPIDER. An animal 10 000 times smaller and lighter than you are. It didn't even bite you, give you a rash, urinate on you, or defecate on you in any way. Is this really a FML?

Correction, she picked up a DEADLY SPIDER. This is the reason why I don't want to live in Australia.

Some people, including me, are terrified of spiders. So yes, this is definitely an FML.

Just to clarify.. it's not like we (Australia) have all these deadly things wandering around stalking you waiting to attack. 95% of the time they are minding their own business and you have to be stupid and stick a hand or something in a place you know they are known to be found. Most of them only attack as a last resort. Red back spiders don't even need the anti-venom anymore, as the worst they usually do is cause a lot of pain, unless you were already extremely unwell, elderly or a small child. Even our most dealy spider, the funnel web, the most poisonous spider in the world, hasn't killed anyone in like 30 years. I'm a self-confessed arachnophobe, but I've never been bitten because I know how not to be stupid.

So basically, the spiders own the land, and you're there on their sufferance. And if you do anything to interfere with their business, (a.k.a being stupid) they will punish you with death or severe pain, even if you're a child and don't know better. I say, a human being can get used to anything, even to living in constant fear. And after a while, humans even stop seeing anything unusual about it.

no, they don't 'own the land'. Most of them hide in piles of bricks of corners and you know not to go and disturb them. They don't just roam the streets. And besides, as much as I hate the things, they are entitled to a tiny little hole in a pile of bricks they can call their own without some self-obsessed human whinging and complaining about being 'controlled' and going and killing/disturbing/bothering them

ideasrule 13

In Australia, there are 14 reported deaths IN TOTAL from the red back spider, and none since the development of antivenom. Very deadly indeed. Much more deadly than the flu, which kills hundreds of thousands every year. Much more deadly than car accidents, which kill tens of thousands; than industrial accidents, heart attacks, diabetes, plane crashes, train accidents, shipwrecks, earthquakes, tsunamis, wars, the Queensland floods, and virtually every imaginable way to die. Yes, very deadly indeed.

Oh yuck!!! I HATE spiders even if they're not deadly... That kind however, IS deadly. FYL OP.

redbacks are highly venomous. I accidentally touched one last year at work? and while it didn't bite me, just brushing past it put me in hospital needing 5 shots of anti venom. deadly guys, very deadly

and i kill spiders......so yea. not a big deal.

sleepyhungry93 0

ydi for not knowing the difference between an insect and an arachnid. jk that sux

CourtneyDanielle_fml 9
seraphxchild 3

uhhh why the Hell would you pick it up?

you are stupid for that never touch a red and black spider chances are it's a black widow depending on were you live