By gpistas - 23/05/2010 06:08 - United States

Today, I was at dentist to get impressions made. The hygienist put way too much of the plaster stuff on the press. She put it in my mouth and asked if I was okay, I shook my head no and promptly vomited. It sat at the back of my throat and I could not spit it out until the plaster hardened. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 808
You deserved it 3 010

Same thing different taste

Top comments

smiley_ily 0

eww, that's just gross, fyl.

Comments

Ugh, been there, done that, and I know how awful that whole process is. Something similar happened to me, since when I had my impressions made the assistants opted to basically force the little tray of plaster against the roof of my mouth manually. I.E. they held me down and one stuck her fingers in my mouth so she could hold the sucker in place till it hardened. It pinched, I gagged, and in hindsight I should have bitten down on the invading digits, but I was just a kid then. Back to the OP, however: That's a decided FML.

"one stuck her fingers in my mouth so she could hold the sucker in place till it hardened" Yeah.... that's how it's done. If I don't hold it in place, it won't be even and we'll have to do it again. Oh and... bite me and we'll have "words".

Be that as it may, I am sure that there are better ways to get a good mold than holding a kid down and putting them in considerable pain. I had impressions taken again towards the end of my cosmetic dentistry ordeal, and then they just had me bite down on the mold to keep everything even. Not pleasant, but not dehumanizing hell either.

Yes, but that's a different type of impression material in a different type of tray.

So then why not use that stuff all the time? Or, if it is unsuitable for certain types of moulds, then why not have the individual hold it in place? I mean, I didn't bite, but it stands to reason that other, less scrupulous patients might have a go at it, and jaw strength is nothing to sneer at.

Alginate is relatively inexpensive and has a much shorter set time - about a minute vs 5 using PVS. PVS is used when getting a crown, because it has better "integrity" - it will hold its shape far longer than alginate, and is a more exact impression. Biting isn't an option though. A lot of people bite inadvertently and are apologetic when it's pointed out. If someone were to bite me on purpose, that could be a form of assault. I need my hands/fingers to do my job.

The biting reference in my first post was more of a joke. Obviously, as an adult, I'm much more tolerant where discomfort is concerned and to bite someone would just be asinine. Case in point, I don't bite my dentist even when the process of cleaning hurts like none other. On the other hand, however, I wouldn't put it past a younger child to bite. My mother, an ENT, has told numerous stories about almost getting chomped by an out-of-control kid while doing such things as checking their tonsils.

Also, as far as the materials go, you gave me two types with differing properties but didn't inform me as to which is the one that you think needs to be held in place, or give a valid reason why not to instruct the patient how to hold it in (admittedly there could be a whole magical process to it that I don't understand, but at the moment it seems not beyond the bounds of reasonable behavior so the person doesn't have to be in pain. Discomfort perhaps, but not pain.)

If your cleanings hurt, you can ask for freezing. :-) The OP was talking about alginate, which is the goopy more wet material , and is always in a tray that needs to be held in place. PVS is the more rubbery material - and is usually coloured (purple green, brownish, etc) It can be used in either type of tray - one called a triple tray which had material on both sides and the patient bites it himself. Or it can be used in a similar tray to the alginate which is loaded on one side only (top or bottom) and must be held by the assistant or the dentist. It needs to be held so it doesn't shift around, which would ruin the impression. The other advantage is the assistant can tilt your head forward so the material doesn't ooze down the back - and talk you through it if you start to feel yourself gagging. I know you wouldn't bite - but it's been mentioned (along with hitting/punching) several times throughout this thread.

and.... it shouldn't hurt. If it does, the tray might be the wrong shape for your mouth. The assistant should try it in your mouth before loading the goop. If it doesn't feel right, she can get another one - or modify it with wax to lengthen/soften the edges.

Heh, all this information has confirmed something I suspected for a long time: I had some very unkind/incompetent hygienists/techs/whoevers for those first moulds. When they were doing it, they pushed the thing up hard enough that my head was tilted backwards, which pretty much sucked, as you can imagine. As for what they were casting with, it was probably the alginate, given the description you gave, though I just remember it smelling and looking like plaster. As for it hurting, that was probably exacerbated by the fact that when my impressions were first taken I had a highly arched palate and there was probably no mould on earth that would have fit right. Later, when I had other impressions done, it wasn't half so bad.

unrelated, but having a high and soft palate is actually really good for singing because it lets the sound resonate more (or something). have you ever tried singing lessons?

ouch. I feel ur pain... same thing happened 2 me and I swallowed some off the purple goo shit they use

co2012crhs 0

ive been there without the vomiting. the plaster proceeded to run down my face and on my shirt. and my dad was there, wishing he had his camera. FML

wethekings7 0

uh..eww...that's really discusting and i am trying not to throw up now...but now that i think about it...i have to admit that this fml IS kinda funny. mwhahahahahaha!

haha last week when I had this done I almost punched the dentist. my fist was inches from her face but I stopped myself. lmao

ilovehalterhorse 0

#56...it doesn't take 20 minutes to take impressions. If that was the case, we'd never have any retainers or anything. it only takes 60-90 seconds for the plaster to set. Trust me, I had to have three done for my top retainer after I got my braces off because I kept gagging and messing it up. It is hard to breathe with the plaster in your mouth, so if the OP threw up, I'm guessing it wasn't very much or she held her breath for the duration. Or she swallowed it again...

notreallybritish 4

to #99: That's what she said

this is fake. if the vomit was at the back of your throat while u were in the dentist chair, your would have drowned from your own vomit. unless the chair was upright, which it usually isn't...

Shopaholic69137 0

this fml is impossible. when you vomit it comes with such force that the vomit and the impression would come out. not only that but if the vomit would of just been in the back of your throat you would of choked. idiots.

I almost threw up when my orthodontist was making a mold for my teeth, I'm sorry it actually happened to you though!