By Anonymous - 20/09/2018 03:00 - United States - Phoenix

Today, I wanted to talk about marriage and our future with my boyfriend of over 10 years. My 30-year-old boyfriend responded by hiding under a blanket and pretending he couldn't hear me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 092
You deserved it 686

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zekfen 17

I’m 38 and been married for 17 years. I still hide under a blanket when my wife wants to talk about our marriage. That is scary stuff.

bl3ur0z3 17

Tax benefits. Healthcare. Survivors benefits. Spousal privilege. Decision making rights (if one is in a coma, it won't be whoever the legal next of kin is making the decisions regardless of how many years they've been estranged, it'll be the spouse they chose to spend their life with) Leaving emotional benefits out of it and assuming no kids, ever, there's still a few dozen reasons.

Comments

Emma Marshall 19

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
luckyharm 5

wedding doesn't have to be expensive. and to most people there's difference in being a girlfriend and a wife

Where I live you can get married for free. You just go to the town hall sign some papers and your done. Every place is obligated by law to have one day where people can do that for free.

Everyone else is doing it, I just wanted to be popular.

bl3ur0z3 17

Tax benefits. Healthcare. Survivors benefits. Spousal privilege. Decision making rights (if one is in a coma, it won't be whoever the legal next of kin is making the decisions regardless of how many years they've been estranged, it'll be the spouse they chose to spend their life with) Leaving emotional benefits out of it and assuming no kids, ever, there's still a few dozen reasons.

Celestyna 16

If someone in the couple makes someone their power of attorney it doesn’t matter if you’re married or not as long as you’ve filled out the power of attorney form. Also when you’re in a de facto relationship for two years you have the same rights as a married couple. Well in Australia anyway. I do understand that marriage is different in other countries but in Australia you are treated the same as a married couple if you’re de facto.

Save what money? You save more money by being married...

Zekfen 17

I’m 38 and been married for 17 years. I still hide under a blanket when my wife wants to talk about our marriage. That is scary stuff.

It's cute as a joke but only if he agreed to talk about your future together afterwars. Even if he is opposed to marriage you need to talk about stuff like this so everyone can plan and see if the relationship is the right thing for them.

After 10 years of free milk, the idea of having to buy the cow must be horrifying!!

Well, there's your sign. Time to move on. I'm not kidding. This isn't a "Mean" comment. This is sound advice from someone with common sense. Run. Run fast, run far, and don't look back.

OP - It appears that your boyfriend has an issue with commitment. I am guessing that in 10 years this is not the first time that this was evident. You either have to accept that as the future or start planning a different future.

Justin Allan Bannister 9

my grandpa said when my bro married his long time gf. "why buy the cow, when you are getting the milk for free". meaning, a piece of paper doesn't change your relationship.

That's not what that phrase means. Your grandpa was calling her easy.

Yeah, a real adult relationship might not be possible with this one.

childlessmother 16

I have been married 22 years. It took my husband all of eight months to decide he wanted to marry me. I had a cousin who had a relationship for ten years and five kids together he said he will never marry her because he wants the freedom to walk away. My point is you need to evaluate your relationship he may not want to be committed to you and he may not want to marry ever. Personally after ten years I would of kicked his ass to the curb