By Anonymous - 10/07/2009 04:08 - United States

Today, I turned 23. I had asked my mom for some things to decorate my new place. As I opened the box to reveal my gift, a mirror was inside. I liked the mirror. I did not like the note attached that said "Look inside the mirror to see who is now 100% financially responsible for themselves." FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 457
You deserved it 19 603

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're 23, you should be financially responsible for yourself. YDI.

Give it back to her when she needs a loan.

Comments

Freed0mfr1es 0

one of the more clever burns of this century...

helios_rex 0

Wah wah, I'm 23 and mommy and daddy don't support me anymore. Grow a ******* pair dude, seriously!

Okay, I may be misinterpreting the FML but what I'm getting is the OP asked for these things as a birthday gift. If that's the case: Your mother just excused you from having to buy HER a gift. If not. Well, YDI.

SilverXeno 0

I'm 26...got married when I was 20, and moved away from my parents for the first time. I had been responsible for a number of my own things before that...car, it's upkeep & insurance, cell phone, uniforms & clothes for work (had TWO jobs), as well as clothes for play, & entertainment like movies & stuff. So once my husband and I were on our own...it wasn't really that much of a stretch to pay for rent, food, etc. Neither of us were in school at the time, but now my husband is in the military, and not only am I doing EVERYTHING at home...but with just 1 paycheck, and two kids. My mom will sometimes buy me birthday gifts...but once you're away from the house, it's not like having a birthday when you were 8. Deal with it! Hey...he got something "for his apartment"...and some sound advice. I don't see that he got ******.

19lollipop96 0

Hahaha luvin #4 But that's life :|

butterfly141989 0

Hey what a concept a 23 yr old has to take care of themselves! what is the world coming to these days. On a side note grow up and be happy you got anything.

Your mom wins. You lose twice over, once for still living off your family at your age and again for whining about it to strangers.

Fe2 0

Well said. I wonder what the OP's mother's reaction would be if she read his FML. My original comment didn't make it out, so here goes again: I am not financially independent either -- I have a legacy, kindly left to me by my grandfather, "administered" by a bank trustee. I am well over 23, though I make my own money too. There are all kinds of realities out there. However, the comments engendered by this post are fascinating, don't you guys think? They reveal more about the world view of each poster, than say anything about class, nationality or generational expectations (which is as it should be). In America, many many people still depend on their parents, but that doesn't take away from American society's opinion on the topic -- that they are considered moochers if their parents support them past the age of 18. In other countries, especially in Europe and South America, kids have to live with their parents, because jobs are scarse, and living in one's own flat/apartment is prohibitive. Plus, they're considered children longer, socially-speaking, than in North America. The phenomenon of the "mammone" in Italy is a case in point. I personally think the OP's Tennessean mother was really tolerant and generous longer than many people would've been. She put her foot down after years of bearing costs of maintaning a grown son. Once he regains his composure, it would be a good idea to buy some roses, stick a card in it with the word "Thanks for being a great mom all these years", and present them to her at the next possible opportunity.

Thank you! I'm from Germany, I'm 22 and I still live at home with my parents. Why? Because I'm just about to finish my Bachelor's degree and I intend to get my Master's as well...meaning I'll be almost 25 once I am done with college. And that is even though I went straight from highschool to college. I'm married, but my husband was medically discharged from the Army and had to go back to the US...he can't afford his life over there as well as mine over here. I can't work enough to completely support myself while still in college, so my parents help me out. And before people ask why I didn't move to the US with him yet...bachelor's degree+master's degree in Germany = 5 years of college = $10,000 at the very most...a whole lot cheaper than in the US...

About time. She's not going to let you starve. I bet you can still show up for Sunday dinner.

shortandloud 0

what is wrong with everyone? (S)he isn't living off of their family, (s)he didn't ask for them to buy her things or pay for everything. It was the OP's birthday- for their BIRTHDAY gift, they requested something to furnish THEIR OWN place with. And the fact that they were pleased with the mirror proves that they didn't expect anything large or expensive. It was the rude note the mom attached, which I interpretted as a "how dare you ever want a birthday gift, never ever ask me for something again", that the OP was upset about. Everyone here seems to take a post and interpret as whatever they feel like to make the OP seem like a monster.

mcsnelly 5

OH. MY. GOD. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! In no way does this post suggest that the OP ISN'T financially responsible! He has his OWN place and for his BIRTHDAY he thought he might be getting a few things for it. (And how do we know that the mom doesn't give him birthday presents EVERY year and he just made some suggestions because he thought she might be wondering what he would want??) It's not like he was insisting his mom completely furnish the entire place! If the mom thought maybe he was getting too old for birthday presents, then she should have told him that BEFOREHAND! But no, she had to be a huge bitch.

thank you 76 you seem to be the only poster who actually read the post for what it was.

Fe2 0

It's hard to know the exact details of a person's story, in a few lines printed for some tell-all website like FML. But this is what we know, given his story. 1- He's male. 2- He just turned 23. 3- He just got a new place. 4- He still speaks to his mother. 5- His mother gave him a birthday present (for his home). 6- His mother gave him an ultimatum. But here are some things we can justifiably infer, too. He feels he can ask for birthday presents at the age of 23. I don't know about you guys, but my father stopped celebrating his birthday and ASKING for presents from his parents when he was, oh 16 years-old maybe? Come on. The note is the most telling part of this scenario. This is the kind of note that a parent writes when the Rubicon has been crossed: in other words, it's a momentous event. She could've waited until the next day, but she felt it would've made a bigger impression on his birthday. It sure did. He won't soon forget the seriousness of her decision. And neither, thanks to his indiscretion in the FML, will we. This note also has a specific word in it -- "100%". That's the kind of shorthand a parent uses when their largesse has been tapped more than once. It all but screams "Enough's enough, kid. You're on your dime now." Is it harsh? Yes. Would my own mum do it to me? No. Do other kids get treated a whole lot worse? You bet. Growing up doesn't mean just being able to have sex, drink beer, and live on your own. It means being responsible for oneself, ENTIRELY. Good luck.

Do you still buy your parents birthday gifts? Christmas gifts? I do, and I'm 24. I buy my grandparents birthday gifts. A gift is a way to say you appreciate them. If the mother only wanted to give the mirror (or perhaps that's all she was able to give), then that's fine. The OP said he was pleased with it. The note made it insulting, and there is a more appropriate venue for that conversation.

Fe2 0

That's another thing. His mother obviously picked out a mirror for her son that would be sure to please him. This tells me that she is in tune with his tastes, requiring thoughtfulness and attention to subtle cues. I don't know the lady from Adam, but I am willing to stake a fiver that she is a nice decent lady overall, who just had enough of her overgrown lad still financially dependent on mummy. 23 and still ASKING (I repeat) for presents, some obviously of a financial nature? You're having a laugh. My grandfather was a WWII veteran with two kids by that age. Why are our standards of malehood so low, these days?

usnwife 18

Im 22, and I do still "ask" for presents. It's a known fact in my family that everyone gets everyone something for their birthday, so having a few things that you know they want is helpful. I assumed that's all he asked for in a "hey, if you're getting me something, I'd like some stuff for my place instead of useless junk" type way and she had to be a bitch about it... Had it not been his bday it was a total ydi, but for a bday present, total fyl!!