By BbyDelight - 27/04/2009 03:39 - Canada

Today, it was my mom's birthday. I decided to get her a Willow Tree statue of a woman fairy holding a heart. After dinner, I presented my gift. My mother asked me how much it was. I replied, $30. She threw me a dirty look, shoved the present in my direction, and told me to return it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 796
You deserved it 8 639

Same thing different taste

Top comments

robinhoood 0

What a bitch shoulda threw it at her. You didn't HAVE to get her shit.

phobes 0

You should never ask how much a present costs; and if you are asked you should never say. It's just impolite. I feel sorry that your mother is so rude.

Comments

*sigh* the thing is that you dont tell people how much their gift costed

tangerine06 20

Maybe OP's mom thought the gift was too expensive. I know my mom would yell at me and make me return something I got her if it was expensive because to her that's wasting money. Especially if it's a $30 statue, in my family we just don't spend money on those kind of things. But then again we're not a normal family.

#1 - Me either, really. Did you not spend enough money or something, OP? o_0

#1,3: I think she thought the statue was ugly and she wanted to make sure there wasn't another reason for getting it--like it being really expensive--before telling her to return it. Alternatively, she thought it was too cheap like #3 suggested.

robinhoood 0

What a bitch shoulda threw it at her. You didn't HAVE to get her shit.

phobes 0

You should never ask how much a present costs; and if you are asked you should never say. It's just impolite. I feel sorry that your mother is so rude.

KY_Jelly 10

Exactly what I was going to say. You're not supposed to say how much a present costs. That's why you rip off the price tag. Asking how much a present costs is like asking a random woman her weight: it's rude and isn't usually tolerable in a civilized community. OP, your mom shouldn't have asked, but you certainly shouldn't have told her.

Agreed very impolite and ungrateful. Next time don't get her anything and when she asks why remind her

I would never buy her sorry ass another present.

She might be going through a rough time. You should have talked to her about it more.

she told him to return a FREE thoughtful gift, how does that mean she is going through a rough time?

Dukedj 0

That is terrible. After that woman spent years teaching you to have good manners and accept stupid gifts like clothes on your birthday, she rejects it and tells you to return it. She could have done it like a human being and said something like, "You didn't have to do this..." That pisses me off.

Krunk 0

It's not clear if the mom thought it cost too much or too little. With my family background and when I first read this, it felt it she thought the statue was a waste of money. $30 these days can be spent on so many more useful things over a statue, especially given the economy. She might've felt it was an insult to all those others (friends, family, relatives) who are just struggling to get by and here we are wasting money on statues. To me it felt like the mom would rather teach her kid a lesson in finance over accepting a $30 gift that she doesn't really care for.