By Anonymous - 10/07/2009 04:08 - United States

Today, I turned 23. I had asked my mom for some things to decorate my new place. As I opened the box to reveal my gift, a mirror was inside. I liked the mirror. I did not like the note attached that said "Look inside the mirror to see who is now 100% financially responsible for themselves." FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 457
You deserved it 19 603

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're 23, you should be financially responsible for yourself. YDI.

Give it back to her when she needs a loan.

Comments

ashole1990 10

honestly i think having to be financially responsible at 18 is crazy in this day and age. seeing as unemployment is up and most kids are still in highschool at 18 its a bit unreasonable.

You just got owned by maturity my son.

notapplicable123 0

YDI Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get that note 5 yrs ago. You should have been able to at least get a small job to save up money to move out. Even a job at the BK that pays around $8 an hour. 40 hrs a week[8 hrs a day] for hm...45 weeks a year for 5 yrs is $72,000, assuming you're under those circumstances. Well, good luck finding a job now.

lmmmr 0

Most people go to college at 18. They hardly have 40 hours a week to dedicate to fast food. At 23 the OP probably graduated pretty recently. Perhaps you havent heard, but we are in the middle of a worldwide financial crisis. It is very, very difficult for recent graduates to get employment.

ohJeeznotme 7

Thats a load of bull. I am tired of hearing people moan about not being able to find jobs. The problem is not finding jobs that are available in the field that your degree is in, etc. Sucking up your selfish pride and taking a job at BK or any other fast food or retail job is hardly degrading. I am proud to have a job and anyone with any employment should be happy to have one too. Maybe going to college for a job that actually needs people would have been a better move.

Well you be proud of flipping those burgers sir.....good for you. Now as for the rest of us who have aspirations in life, we shall seek other forms of employment that we also can be proud of. Oh and you do realize that even finding a job at the local fast food restaurant isn't as easy as you make it seem. The corporations that own those establishments stand to loose money if they hire too many employees at any level. Couple this with the recent global recession and the amount of high schoolers and other randoms who already held these positions, it is very difficult for someone new to the work force to find work. Though I was being specific, this example applies to any kind of job that works in a similar fashion. Also I'm not trying to knock anybody that works in the fast food industry. If you're doing it as a temporary means to an end, thats fine; if you've made a career out of it and haven't gotten into management, then you might wanna consider a self evaluation.

No, it's very hard to find a job currently. I'm away at school and have an apartment so I stay here year round. My job just closed for summer because business is so slow [it's located on campus]. I've been searching since the beginning of June. I have went into everywhere in town and in the neighboring towns. There aren't any jobs available. I've gone to schools, offices, restaurants [including fast food], and stores. It depends on where you live. A coworker of mine went home for the summer and was able to find 2 jobs.

You're pretty lucky if you're still financially supported at 23. I'm 18 and have to pay for everything - and I know people who had to at a younger age. Be happy you have been supported for this long because not everyone can sympathise with you.

you are 23 and you don't support yourself? that is ridiculous.

What a bitch! Yeah, you're sopposed to be resp. for yourself, blah, blah, blah. In reality, many young adults still need help with finances, especially in a recession. Assuming that the parents are truly able to help. even still, they can help in other ways besides financially. if mom didn't prepare him/her on how to do it economically, she failed in her job as a parent. she was really rude in the way she expressed herself. Good luck!

turnthecorner 0

I don't know why everyone's being so harsh. The OP had asked his mom for something for his birthday, and just because he's 23, apparently he's not supposed to expect birthday presents from his parents. I'm 24, and I get birthday presents from my mom, and my mom is 54 and gets birthday presents from my grandma. He clearly is financially independent if he is living on his own and trying to decorate his place, people! Try to understand what the OP is saying before you make unfair judgments.

He did get a birthday present - a mirror for his new place. Could have been an expensive mirror - who knows. Who knows what the parents are going through. Right now being young in a recession has advantages. Many people my parents age have lost their 401Ks and other savings that supplement their life. They have to work more, work longer. They're probably sick of a money-grubbing adult.

Many people at age 23 are not 100% financially responsible. It's called being in college! I'm in school, have my own job and will soon be getting my own apartment, but i'm still not 100% financially responsible because my parents pay tuition and help out when I need it. The same holds true for lots of people. Just because someone's 23 and just now became financially independent doesn't mean they've been mooching for the past 5 years.

fyourlife33 0

most people are out of college by 23... its your birthday cry if you want to but we dont care about it, you're moved out so why are you surprised you have to take financial responsibilty

I don't think he expected a handout, I think he was expecting a birthday gift. Presumably if he told his mom what he wanted for his birthday there was precedent set, they're a family who gives each other gifts. Even if he's not financially independent (which I don't think the post implies, but whatever) that's also something he's presumably worked out with his mother based on their situation. (And there's a whole host of legitimate reasons why someone may not be financially independent at 23 - health issues come to mind.) If things were changing, you would think his Mom would let him know in a more tactful manner. Then again, I suppose it's equally possible that the Mom has been trying to tell him and he's not been hearing.

scorpioserpent 1

Your parents pay your tuition? Soo lucky. I'm going into my second year of college and paid every cent myself. I'll likely need a loan in another year or so.

samhat 0

It would be a reasonable FML if he had asked for one thing, but he said he asked for things. He did get a gift, a mirror, that he said he likes. At 23 do you still expect your parents to buy you ten gifts?

The mirror was a nice gift. The note made it insulting. There's a more appropriate time for reitorating that life lesson that as a "part" of his birthday gift. She should've just given the mirror if that's all she wanted (or was able) to do.