By anonymous - 19/07/2012 01:29 - United States

Today, I told my mom about the severe phobia I've developed towards driving. She was very supportive and even made me an appointment to see a psychologist. His office is two hours away. I have to drive to see my doctor about my fear of driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 687
You deserved it 3 434

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

She's a financial wizard! For the price of one hour with the shrink, she's getting you four hours of desensitization training for free! Next, tell her of your profound phobia of having sex with several beautiful women at once.

Comments

Dont worry so much OP, driving isnt that hard (normally). I would stay away from interstates while you are beginning but take your time practicing in parking lots and town streets when traffic is lite. Try to judge the distance and speed of the other cars, if you think they are too close/fast to change lanes or turn, simply wait. Good luck!

43 - The OP's fear of driving may not be because they believe that driving is difficult or that they're a terrible driver; it might stem from a traumatic experience that they've had in the past, or something entirely different.

mrnuleef 7

Oh the irony. Find a closer doctor thats maybe at least city bus distance? Good luck with that phobia.

I also have a fear of driving. I absolutely hate it. A lot of people make fun of me for it since I am 18 and hate to drive. Don't feel alone I hope you over come your phobia :)

I agree...the two hour drive is the therapy. You'll be building confidence on your own. And it's gotta come from you. The therapist will help you tweak it even better. Perhaps the most important thing is that when you do make that two hour drive with yourself behind the wheel, you will have conquered your phobia (even if your knuckles are white with fear) the moment you arrive to his office, as well as when you make the return drive home. The therapist will try to help you continue to conquer that phobia with less anxiety. And, not to sound trite, but your willingness to own up to this phobia and your willingness to see a therapist show that you're already well on your way to making it better. All the best to you...

Maybe you could use the drive as a form of therapy? You could start out getting the train or a taxi there and work up to driving.

Maybe that's her idea of therapy..... Sounds good if u ask me! I think it Would help heaps

that makes no sense, how did you get your license?

kaymi 17

My mom had no fear of the road at first then gradually she started freaking out. So it happens. I need to suggest therapy to her.

Did anyone else think of Sheldon Cooper when they read this? I'm sorry OP. best of luck to you and hopefully you can come to terms with this and get over it quickly! :)

Don't worry OP, I have a fear of driving too. I have to learn though so I can drive myself to university :( I can't rely on people anymore for driving!