By anonymous - 19/07/2012 01:29 - United States

Today, I told my mom about the severe phobia I've developed towards driving. She was very supportive and even made me an appointment to see a psychologist. His office is two hours away. I have to drive to see my doctor about my fear of driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 687
You deserved it 3 434

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

She's a financial wizard! For the price of one hour with the shrink, she's getting you four hours of desensitization training for free! Next, tell her of your profound phobia of having sex with several beautiful women at once.

Comments

Oh the irony. Ask Penny or Leonard to drive you! Okay very very very bad joke, and I don't mean to imply that you are like him, or that being like him is either good or bad. (but in my opinion, he does kick ass.) Ask a friend to drive you or public transportation! Not that pricey either (unless you take a cab. Is that even public transport? Yeah I guess. U apologize for my stupidity. )

flippinfail_fml 7

Ask your mom. You're not the only one! I have that fear too.

graphicstyle7 17

I had a phobia about driving on freeways even after I had gotten over my fear of driving on regular roads... and I had to haul my ex-husband and our worldly possessions in a car for years, all over the country, and whenever I got nervous, he'd yell at me. To finally get over this fear, I would go out at 3am, when there are NO cars around and go to whatever roads and highways I knew really made me uncomfortable. I would go over what I'd do in any situation on tricky parts and I would see what lane I needed to be in, etc. It really helped.

And I thought it was ironic to have to talk to a stranger to be treated for sociophobia. That sucks, I'm sorry. I hope you manage the trip okay and your doctor works out.

peachyFML 17

I have the same phobia, but my friends and family all told me to get over it. My best friend's exact words, "It's not like it'll kill you. Not again, anyways. Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice." They had to restart my heart after my car was hit by a log truck. And they all think I have nothing to be afraid of..,

That's horrible! They should be more sensitive to your situation!

peachyFML 17

It is pretty rough when they tell me that I'm worthless for not driving. Everyone says that I just don't want to drive so I can sleep/ do makeup/ work on my book while in the car.

blink_kid 32

Well, perhaps you will overcome your phobia before you've even seen the doctor? :D

Keiren 14

I used to be able to drive just fine, then I developed severe dizzy spells which lead to panic disorder. I'm lucky if I can get out of the house to take a bus, let alone drive anywhere. Good luck OP, I hope you learn to cope with it.

hateevryone 14