By anonymous - 19/07/2012 01:29 - United States

Today, I told my mom about the severe phobia I've developed towards driving. She was very supportive and even made me an appointment to see a psychologist. His office is two hours away. I have to drive to see my doctor about my fear of driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 687
You deserved it 3 434

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

She's a financial wizard! For the price of one hour with the shrink, she's getting you four hours of desensitization training for free! Next, tell her of your profound phobia of having sex with several beautiful women at once.

Comments

You baby!! Suck it up and grow a pair! Everyone drives you puss

There are many ways of traveling without actually invovling with you driving. You can even ask a friend to drive you there.

Don't worry, OP. I have a severe fear of driving from an accident and it isn't the end of the world. Talk to your mom and ask for another therapist closer, maybe. If she signed you up in the first place, she seems willing to try and help work things out with you.

guitarist01 0

What is that phobia called?

Nightmare998 0

Wow that like really sucks! I'm actually sorry it's so ironic I have to be sorry

I used to be deathly afraid of driving, until I was really hungry and was told that my parents had no idea when they'd be home with my dinner. When it comes down to it, just facing your phobia head on should help, make the experience each time a happy one or one that has a happy outcome at the end of it (In my case it was a order of honey barbecue wings) and just keep practicing until it becomes easier for you. This is advice coming from someone who had a full blown screaming and sobbing fit before her road test...

There is nothing wrong with being afraid towards driving. There are others out there who never learn how to drive because they are scared to do so, and there are even people out there who do drive, but are terrified of it. Don't force yourself to drive when you are scared to do so. Not only will you be protecting yourself from potential danger, but as well as others on the road.

brosbeforehos85 3

I was terrified of driving too; I didn't learn until I was 23. My town is full of dumb kids who get brand new cars from their parents but think of them as toys, so they're dangerous on the road. Plus I've had a couple of friends in car accidents, one of them fatal, the other with me in the car with him. Perhaps your biggest fear is bad drivers? It's possible, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I still get worried about idiot drivers on the road, but once you get on to it, you'll be okay. The most important thing is to keep your eyes and mind on the road, DO NOT use your cell phone (if it's an emergency, pull over), and expect the unexpected. Those three words were the first thing taught to me at my driving class that I took, and they've proved to be true. You can do it OP! However, to get to your appointment, could you take a bus or some other form of transportation until you feel comfortable enough to drive?