By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 335
You deserved it 16 581

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

That is a lovely gesture. People get trapped in traditions, especially when it comes to men and women's roles in marriages. It's just lame sexism. They'll get over it. Good for you.

Mehh, I'm half and half on this one, a good comprimise would be to just keep your own last name or to "share" the hassle, both of y'all take the others last name, and if you guys have kids, give one last name to one and one to the other

You are pussy whipped. I see why they did laugh at u

'Pussy Whipped' means that the man doesn't make every significant decision and completely dominate his wife on principle like some sort of slave owner. Good for you OP, if your family are that pathetic you're trading up with your wife.

This is amazing!!!! I'm an only child and I would love my future husband to do this for me!

duma191 21

traditionally the man's name is assumed, but you do have a choice. the family that laughed at you are dicks and the ones that won't talk to you may see it as an insult. I plan on changing my last name and my fiance and I will assume the new name. but that is for personal reasons.

Simoneaux17 11

She has your balls in her purse. Man up! I'll get thumbed to hell because I don't think like all these pansy foo foo fairies.

Everyone who thinks you deserve it and comments likewise, they're kidding, right? They can't possibly be serious. Like, there's no way in this day and age people that people really expect women to always take the last name of the man. WTF. As a woman, I'd die of happiness if my husband offered to do this.