By Anonymous - 10/03/2013 00:40 - United Kingdom - Brighton

Today, I received an email from my friend in South Africa, with whom I'll soon be staying for 2 months. She was telling me that she had bought me a few things so I would be prepared for my stay. What did she buy me? A taser and some pepper-spray. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 984
You deserved it 5 564

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ahahaha! Your friend's a joker, mate. A taser won't help you here!

Comments

yusaku02 20

That was very thoughtful of your friend. You will likely need both on multiple occasions. You should know how dangerous it is in Africa before choosing to go there.

SeepingSarcasm 7

No, she wouldn't. Stop being an idiot.

As long as she stays out of the really dodgy areas then she actually may not ever need to use either.

yusaku02 20

SeepingSarcasm - Very appropriate name given your response ;)

SeepingSarcasm 7

South Africa is not that bad. Yes it's worse than say, US and Brittain, but it still doesn't mean we're in a constant state of panic and gang wars or any other constant danger. Although I do understand why so many people from other countries think we are when I read some of the comments from some of the sad, hatefull South Africans commenting here. With some logic thinking and basic precautions, you would be fine OP, without using the taser or pepper-spray!

Still, it wouldn't hurt to have pepper spray and a taser.

SeepingSarcasm 7

That is very true also. Especially seeing that a lot of the times a tourist would be seen as an easy target. My point remains though, SA is not as bad as everybody thinks.

I'm going to India for two months with my best friend next year. Her family lives in Andra Pradesh and they STILL don't like the idea of us going into the city. It's always good to exercise caution in foreign countries. They told me that I'll just cause lots of attention by walking down the street because I look white. However I'm sure I'll be fine and so will you OP. Better to be safe and not need the mace or taser than to need it and not have it :)

Kirstie93 5

By the sound of it I REALLY think you need to do some research on South Africa A.S.A.P., it's one of the most unsafe places in the world. I do not envy you even a tiny bit. Definitely FYL.

cradle6 13

Britain passed up South Africa in crime rate. So since Britain is more dangerous than S. Africa, OP is actually better off.

Come here on a diplomatic passport and bring a gun with a lot of ammo...

Trust me, I'm from SA, you may actually end up using them

MiloBear 11

I have lived in South Africa for most of my life. We don't own guns or dogs or anything like that. Our house has been burgled twice, both times by street kids. We don't feel anger towards them since they are a bunch of 8-14 year olds who go around asking for food, we shrug and say they probably need it more than we do. I have never been mugged or raped, even though I've been going to universities in the middle of town for the past four years. I asked my mom to buy me pepper spray when I started walking home alone from school at age 14 but never had any reason to use it. Just use your common sense, don't wander about in dodgy areas, don't wait at traffic lights with your windows down, don't walk outside at night without a buddy. I'm sure these rules apply in most countries.

^ Yeah they do. I hope you wise up for your own good.

Um, no. I can actually stop at any stoplight I want with my windows open without a care in the world. Likewise I can walk down the street at any hour of the day or night unarmed and fear nothing. You can't do that in South Africa, can you? I'll check nothing, and you can kindly **** OFF. Wise up? How about move to an area that isn't inherently shitty, m'kay?

these rules don't apply in much of the US, like where I grew up. I'm now going to college in a place where they do apply.