By flaps - 19/08/2009 21:02 - United States

Today, I re-dislocated my arm trying to get it out of the cast it was in because I didn't want to pay the $50 dollar fee to get it taken off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 709
You deserved it 95 437

Same thing different taste

Comments

Well, *that* wouldn't have happened under ObamaCare

jewelzgalore 0

Aw I don't blame you man. Half these people probably would have tried the same thing. Who the **** actually does what they're supposed to? I didn't know it cost $50 to get that thing off. That's ridiculous. It takes what, 2 minutes to cut it off? Sorry about that.

heh...developed countries have nationalized healthcare. It's a basic right. It has problems (long queues for non critical surgery) but it works a lot better in general than private healthcare, no matter what the propaganda on TV says. If you're not in that top percentile of people who can actually afford to break an arm or go to the emergency room after a car accident, you're completely ******. What if your brother or sister or mom or dad or best friend got hurt or nearly died and couldn't afford to get fixed? Or if you went into debt for 10 years because of some stupid accident? What if you were born with a genetic disability, does that mean your family deserves to be poor forever whilst supporting you? Or are you in favour of terminating unhealthy people? You pay taxes for the roads you drive on, the libraries you go to, the police to protect you, and firemen to save you from a fire. Why not pay taxes to help your friends and family when they get hurt?

I'm sorry, but $50 is a lot for someone who doesn't have it. You people shouting off about how you don't want healthcare for all should be ashamed of yourselves. Clearly you are in a position to be able to afford it and you don't give a damn about anyone else. You can still pay for private healthcare if you wish, that won't change. You need to stop listening to the absolute durge of propaganda on TV and come and talk to some actual citizens of the UK and see how they really feel about the our national health service. They may bitch and complain about it sometimes, but would they have it taken away? Not in a million years.

Wow, some of the comments here are incredibly misinformed. If I have a medical emergency I can see a doctor straight away. If I want to see a GP for a non emergency then I can still see one straight away. And I don't have to pay huge medical bills. Yes the waits are long if I want non-emergency surgery but I still have the option to pay privately if I want to. People should speak to uk citizens before making judgement. My mum was I'll with cancer for 4 years. She was able to see a doctor within hours and got surgery the next day. Over those four years she recieved all of her treatment, medication and surgery free of charge and it was the best care imaginable. We couldn't have asked for anything more. My grandfather recieves dialysis treatment every 2 days, and is collected from his home and then taken home again after free of charge. If it wasn't for national healthcare we wouldn't be able to afford any of this. As for the so called 'death panels', isn't that just what insurance companies are? Noone is deciding whether you live or die in the uk, everyone is just entitled to the best healthcare possible. I for one are proud of our healthcare system.

But it's not free. You're paying for it with taxes, but not just you. EVERYONE is paying for it, even the people that aren't using it. How is that fair to them? How is that right? If you weren't so overtaxed you would be able to afford your own healthcare. You could have the freedom to decide if you wanted it. Unfortunately if you don't get it then you're stuck, but it was your FREE decision to go for it or not. What if your mom and Grandpa weren't so unlucky. Then all of you would be paying into a system you wouldn't even be using! How is that right? How is that moral? You'd be paying for someone to live whether you want to or not.

Um, as far as I know (if anyone knows how to double check this I'd appreciate it), we only pay about 1% more tax here in the UK than you guys do in the US. Which makes me wonder what on earth you're spending it on... Regarding being lucky/unlucky: the same flaw applies with health insurance. It's a bet. But quite frankly, I'm happy to have a portion of my taxes go towards my peace of mind. Knowing that if something hurts that I don't understand I can drop by my local surgery or even just call the NHS Direct number and have someone talk me through it and reassure me is a huge weight off my mind. Finally, regarding paying for other people's problems - so? Oh the horror, the government is mandating that some of the money it would probably take from you anyway goes towards helping people in difficulty. I can definitely see the moral objection to that /sarcasm.

with a few exceptions, this healthcare debate...as it is with most debates...can be boiled down to to two simple points. 1) arguing on the Internet is stupid and pointless. 2) UK citizens, by birth, are inferior human beings and naturally jealous of all things American. When they feel like they can assert some false superiority, as in the case with their NHS, they'll try their hardest to make it seem like some dream system with doctors waiting at every corner to cure whatever ails you. Please stop. And we all know the UK hasn't discovered the Internet yet, so I'm still trying to figure out how they signed on here in the first place. (disclaimer - lived in London/Manchester for two years.)

If you lived in London and Manchester I can see why you think uk citizens are inferior :)

hehehe had to laugh at this.... have spent a lot of time in the US and Canada ...am in nooooo way jealous of anything american and have always preferred Canada

yottskry 0

You lived in London and Manchester and met some UK citizens? I'm impressed - all I meet there are idiot Americans.

Yeah, I cut a cast off my leg with a pair of tin snips. My doc was NOT happy. But I did a mighty nice job of it!

Universal healthcare has it's flaws. But it's nothing like the propaganda "death panel on grandma" bullshit by Sarah Palin. If you want to contact the "death panel", call your insurance company.

would not happen with universal health care...

Bloody Idiot. Doctors study for YEARS. They effectively have 12 years of training, and you figure "Oh I can do it"

dcstream 0

It's really not hard AT ALL. We just have the proper tools for it, and it should still be done for free.