By Lyn - 18/01/2012 11:15 - United States

Today, I'm supposed to start my new job as a Crime Scene Tech. Instead, I managed to electrocute myself with my hairdryer. I'll now have to attempt to explain to them that I really am qualified to safely operate an electrostatic lifting device, and other expensive equipment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 093
You deserved it 6 704

Same thing different taste

Top comments

rosha267 21

They don't have to know about it

finalyearsofhate 22

you shocked yourself op. electrocution leaves the person dead.. not posting to fml.

Comments

cradle6 13

I bet they'll find your story "shocking." I'll go away now...

Torva_fml 16

This comment needs an image of Horatio putting on his sunglasses... YYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!

I'm sure the more high tech equipment you're going to be using has better safety features than a hair dryer.. They are actually quite dangerous.

perdix 29

It sucks that a ghost can get its FML published and I can't! Hey, Einstein, don't tell your employers that you shocked yourself with the hairdryer. The expensive equipment certainly has safety features built-in that aren't in your $8 Wal-mart hair dryer. They're supposedly foolproof, but I don't know how big a fool you are ;)

perdix 29

I don't know about that. I don't want to share the truly crappy things in my life, yet they seem to detect when I put something fake in.

Your ability to use sensitive equipment isn't a function of your ability to be sensitive equipment.

desireev 17

It was an accident OP. It happens to the best of us. You'll do fine at your new job. Don't let the perfect-people-who-never-have-an-accident-or-ever-do-something-silly get ya down! Just remember, accidents happen! Just do your job the best you can and you'll do great! :)

kingsley_fml 8

It sounds like you light up their lives.

Im sure they wont notice the burn marks and einstein hair

RedPillSucks 31

Hopefully, your CSI got GFI unlike your hair dryer.

Really? Everyone that's saying it's ok. She is supposed to be experienced in using sophisticated electrical equipment. Yet she fails at using a hair dryer. Really? Would you want to go to a surgeon who had removed someone's left arm when it was supposed to be the right. Would you just shrug it off and say "well, everybody has a bad day" I don't think so. My point is that someone who is supposed to be highly trained in the use of sophisticated electrical devices should be able to understand how to use a hair dryer without getting ******* electrocuted.

Accidents happen, just because you're qualified doesn't mean you're not going to make a mistake. I assume you can walk right? Well, if you trip and fall while you are walking, should you be confined to a bed because you tripped and fell? My point is just because you know how to do something, it doesn't mean you are immune to making a silly mistake.

^ The difference from your example and mine is that my example is actually relevant to the situation. Knowing how to walk and tripping is slightly different from being trained in the use of sophisicated electrical equipment and not knowing how to use a hair dryer without getting a serious shock. Oh and when I say slightly different, I mean A BIG ******* DIFFERENCE. I mean i wouldn't want this dumb broad trying to help police figure out who raped and murdered my mom. Would you? Also from what you're saying is you would have no problem using the surgeon in my previous comment. Really? Really?

I never said my example was as perfect as your example comparing OP shocking herself to a surgeon taking off a wrong arm... But my point was people do stupid stuff all the time, and just because you know how to do something or have a qualification to use certain equipment doesn't mean accidents won't happen. How do you know OP did graduate at the top of her class, or excel during training?

Can I jump in here with another possibility? I'm not going to say she's brilliant and made a mistake, and I'm not going to suggest she's mentally handicapped. Third alternative: Perhaps she IS qualified to do her job, is distracted and nervous about her first day of work, simply doesn't notice a loose wire or a cut in the electrical cord, plugs it in and gets shocked. Not everyone that has something happen to them is because they're unbelievably stupid. Really, a hair dryer doesn't have that many buttons/options, I can see it being easy to take using one for granted. Do you always use your full, undivided attention to perform every task you encounter in your life, no matter how menial or simple it may be? :) Just a thought. Cheers! :)

devin12 0

Is a hair drier anything like sophisticated equipment?

I think you should understand that accidents happen, and the surgeon reference made no sense. I'm 100% the hair dryer doesn't connect to this person's work, while removing the wrong arm would (as a surgeon).

It sounds to me like you're just a cynical prick. Would you go on that jackass rant to someone's face? No, so don't be a dick about it.

GoW_Chick 14

You shocked not electrocuted yourself, I think it's time for a new hairdryer, maybe not one that gives you a electrifying surprise when you plug it in.

Schizomaniac 24
GoW_Chick 14

Man my comment sounds stupid all because I missed a word, and it's bugging me so I'll fix it. -.- * You got shocked, not electrocuted