Zapped

By Anonymous - 04/09/2022 17:00

Today, I got electrocuted at work. The boss thinks I'm faking, even though a chunk of my left hand is gone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 316
You deserved it 93

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Unless you're a ghost writing from The Great Beyond, you did not get electrocuted, you got shocked. Electrocution is a portmanteau of "execution by electricity."

File a Worker's Compensation claim ASAP. That'll make him take it seriously. That really sucks! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Comments

Unless you're a ghost writing from The Great Beyond, you did not get electrocuted, you got shocked. Electrocution is a portmanteau of "execution by electricity."

File a Worker's Compensation claim ASAP. That'll make him take it seriously. That really sucks! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

According to the Oxford dictionary any type of injury or killing of someone by electric shock is considered an electrocution.

The word was coined to mean death by electricity. Any other use of the word just indicates the disintegration of our language into meaninglessness. It's like how literally and awesome have been rendered meaningless by the acceptance of careless and sloppy usage.

how in the ever loving flim flam can you fake a chunk of your hand missing?!

Before I became an electronic engineer, electronics was my hobby. And my dad worked a long time as an electrical appliance repairman and I was his helper as a teen. I have had many electrical shocks, most were painful but not apparently dangerous. A few were pretty bad - no lasting damage but I felt bad for a few hours. When you get a significant electrical shock your muscles tend to clench involuntary. In the wrong circumstances this can be very dangerous in itself. When I was a teenager I was changing the letters on a drive in theater marquee. It was night and to see to do it, the sign was on. It had neon tubes around the sign, and one of them had broken and been replaced with a bare wire wired to the little glass standoffs. I accidentally touched that wire and the next thing I knew I was on my way to the ground from the ladder. Obviously my unconscious reaction was to jump away. Neon signs by the way run at several thousand Volts, but are current limited to a current level below the lethal threshold for humans. Fortunately I fell only about 6 feet onto a lawn and I was young - nothing broken or injured. A - OP obviously didn’t die, but he did get an electroshock. That can be either mildly painful to potentially lethal depending on the amount of current flowing through your body and it’s path - the worse case is through the heart. B - An electroshock can be very dangerous but it’s relatively rare that except with high Voltages capable of high currents that people die from it. Part of the genius of Edison was picking a Voltage low enough to not usually be lethal but high enough to be able to supply plenty of power for household use (but the high voltage transmission lines are a death sentence if you touch them). C - The involuntary muscle movement from an electric shock can lead to additional injuries - such as the time I jumped off a ladder. D - People who work with electricity professionally are taught electrical safety. The most important rule is do not work on live wiring unless there are no other options - and double check with a meter or tester that the power is off. The second most important rule is work one handed whenever possible to avoid the lethal circuit of a hand to hand circuit that passes through the heart. The third most is never work in a wet environment on electricity - the moisture reduces skin electrical resistance and that can be lethal.

how is a chunk of hand missing? thought electricity cooked not cleaved