By icanunderstand - 10/07/2009 12:50 - Russian Federation

Today, I'm studying abroad in Russia, and I lost my keys to my dorm room. In the office I asked for a spare and she spoke really fast so I couldn't hear her. Assuming I don't speak Russian, she gets on the phone and calls maintenance saying, "There is this ugly girl about to cry... come fix it." FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 203
You deserved it 3 677

Same thing different taste

Top comments

SilverXeno 0

In Soviet Russia, you don't lose keys. KEYS LOSE YOU!

WFMS 0

you should of said " the ugly girl can hear you" in Russian to her

Comments

Dear FML readers, I'm totally sorry for the Russian posters above who just come and start telling everyone to f*** off. In their own language and for no reason at all. "Ну ты и чурбан не русский" is, of course, the best way to show how well bred you are, isn't it, twist_n_shout? baby_love (#56) is correct. I'm glad I don't live there any longer, shame I'll have to return for holidays. OP: FYL. A Russian

twist_n_shout 0

I fail to see how what I said is at all the same as "telling everyone to f*** off", but I am so glad that you are SO well-bred that you feel you may take upon yourself the task of apologizing for the rest of us! You are so superior to the rest of us in your condescending ways and your lack of desire to ever live in Russia again. The expression I used is a quite commonly used Russian expression, which expresses that what someone said sounds really awkward, be it a slip of the tongue or an actual mistake, equalling in strength to "ну ты и чудак!" or, for the lack of a better English equivalent, "how ridiculous is that!" In no way is it very harsh, but maybe somewhat sarcastic. Oh and just so you know, "well-bred" usually refers to someone's physical description. The phrase you are looking for is "well brought up".

Drakanaa 0

FHL for being an unnecessary douchebag. That's not the first time I've heard of that happening though. Friend of mine went to get her nails done with a Korean friend of hers and they bad-mouthed her for being fat without realizing her friend spoke Korean. Girl's not even fat. People are so uppity about their culture these days. I hope you told her off in Russian.

AnaMaree 0

YDI for caring about Russia.

It's funny when people think you can't speak a language, when in reality you can, and try to insult you with it... I hope after she got off the phone with her, you said something bitchy back to her in Russian. ;]

You are considered ugly in russia? You must be nasty

LadyLieDie 1

Oh, man, this reminds me of being in a Vietnamese hair salon. My sister was getting her hair cut and throughout the whole time, they were commenting on how awful her hair was. She finally said, "I can speak Vietnamese." They continued talking anyway.

Oh wow, that's a lot of Russian at the top of these comments... OP, that's pretty rude of the woman to say such a thing. :( #129, they kept talking about her, seriously? How rude! Reminds me of that Seinfield episode where the girl (always forget her name) gets someone who speaks Vietnamese to come with her to the salon and find out what they're saying about her... wish I could do that sometimes!

littlecloud_fml 0

I am from Russia and it really hurts to read all these mean comments about Russians. there are good people in every country and sadly enough there are assholes too.

twist_n_shout 0

I totally agree! The main point of the post wasn't that it happened in Russia, but that someone was saying things about the OP in a language they thought she wouldn't understand! There are plenty of FMLs about someone overhearring someone else saying mean things about them in English, but it definitely doesn't reflect in any way on the offender's country of origin, so I don't understand why some are jumping all over this solely for the reason that it happened in Russia!

you should have said something to her in russian about what she just did & watch her feel terrible

American_Exchang 0

YDI for going to russia for exchange!