By Mom - 05/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I grounded my son for being a smart ass. Now he can't go to the cub scout campout this weekend. He's been howling, sobbing, stomping, slamming and screaming for about three continuous hours. I am not sure who this punishment has inflicted more suffering on: my son or me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 660
You deserved it 33 342

mf09 tells us more.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

Top comments

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

Nah - it sounds like the discipline was WAAAAAYYYY overdue!

Comments

fogrunner 13

Tell that bitch to shut up or you won't ever let him leave the house again, much less go on some dumb ass boy scout retreat. Kids act like retarded monkeys because you parents let them! Discipline your child or stop whining and deal with the tantrums (and no, telling mikey he's grounded is not the kind of discipline I'm talking about)

Now you can ground him for being a crybaby.

I'm not so fussed by the punishment as by the reason it was given. Do you mean 'smartass' as in he was cheeky and corrected/ annoyed you? Or... I fail to see any other way that the term could mean a bad thing. If he was cheeky, that hardly deserves being so harsh. A little bit of disrespect for your elders is always healthy- he won't get walked all over by his boss, wife, or pissy people like you if he knows when to stand his ground. But then it sounds like you just got annoyed and felt like a fail 'cause he was probably right, so upped the punishment :p

Hahahah. I do the fake cry to annoy my family and also work mates somedays. I know how painful it must be though. I wanna slap people/children that do it for real.

Decepticon - I am in complete agreement!!!

MsDithers 0

of course white people are far better off because ur devils. u should be proud 

I agree that a child needs to be grounded for certain offenses, but to take away his Scouting trip is wrong. I think the Scouts are a great organization that will greatly benefit him. Choose a different weekend to ground him and let him go to camp.

skyeyez9 24

put him to work! Make him organize his room, scrub the bathroom floors or exercises so he doesn't have time to cry. If he whines more, tell him you will pile on the workload until he shuts his mouth.

I say OP should take his stuff until he shapes up. "What's that? I thought you were crying because you had too many toys! Such a generous child, wanting to give his toys to charity like that..."

It's great that you grounded your kid for doing something wrong, but maybe from now on your punishments need to be more specific Instead of just "And you can't go out for a week" maybe "And you have to do _____" or even "you are grounded for a week and for every minute you cry I take a computer game off you (for a month?) . And if you run out of computer games, for every minute of uncontrolled screaming (subject to your ruling) you will confiscate the computer/tv/phone for a day. So if he cries for half an hour he goes a month with no media. Find your kid's currency, and use it. Good that you found the camp was a currency of his (that you can bargain with) but maybe would have been more effective as a deterrent rather than a punishment, making the camp sound like a reward for good boys, etc OH and i just thought of something evil: Tape him throwing a tantrum and "accidentally" play it in front of all his friends AHAHAHAHHAHAHAH next camp/birthday/every event/school. THEN at his 21st. THEN at his wedding. (I'm kidding, don't do that)

Splayd 10

The reason, DarkHumor, that this doesn't work, is because it puts you and your child on the same level. Sometimes, he has to remember that you are not just a "meany-pants," but you are an adult, and you CONTROL his EXISTENCE. As nice as you may be, this fact must be established before the proper parent-child relationship can proceed in a healthy manner.