By Mom - 05/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I grounded my son for being a smart ass. Now he can't go to the cub scout campout this weekend. He's been howling, sobbing, stomping, slamming and screaming for about three continuous hours. I am not sure who this punishment has inflicted more suffering on: my son or me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 660
You deserved it 33 342

mf09 tells us more.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

Top comments

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

Nah - it sounds like the discipline was WAAAAAYYYY overdue!

Comments

And you just let him have a temper tantrum like that? Learn to control your son! By letting him carry on like that your basically saying to him that behaviour like that is acceptable.. which is it not. Nip it in the bud now or it may get worse as he gets older.

Cub scouts should teach him to be more responsible and less of a smartass. So stopping him going is just hurting yourself. Also from my experience, being a "smartass" is just part of being young. Play along and it will wear off. Unless he is using foul language. It might be a good Idea to let him go to the campout but tell his cub counselors about his behavior.

wazdog 4

Hang in there OP! I don't know what circumstances made you ground him but if you give in to his screaming, he'll know he can get away with anyway.

adamsk1 0

it's not a smart ass. it just seems that way to stupid ppl lol. whip his ass!!

Americunt 0

So, Lady OP, would you rather your son be a smartass or dumbass? You tell me.

greatnt249 0

False dichotomy...hopefully your poor logical skills aren't indicative of your (future) parenting skills.

Well, firstly, good for dicciplining your son (but for being a smartass??). But stopping him from going to Scouts if a bit harsh?? Scouts I'm sure, is positive learning enviroment. But this is the only way he will learn. If you give in he will know that all it takes is a tantrum to get whatever he wants.

dugumit 0

reiyu your a moron....there are plenty of whites who beat their kids senseless and their are plenty of black and brown kids running around like little $hits that need a good kick up the azz. as for this parent ur kid doesn't deserve camp, u need to grow some balls grab ur kid by the arm and tell him "if u don't knock that crap off I will knock u clear into next week" and if he doesn't get it let him experience it! dont pussy out to ur kids!

HerpaderpMeg 12

150, what the hell's your problem?

gatorgrl1988 0

dont let him go. he is learning di

anela_fml 0

sounds like my 14 year old brother

050294 0