By Mom - 05/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I grounded my son for being a smart ass. Now he can't go to the cub scout campout this weekend. He's been howling, sobbing, stomping, slamming and screaming for about three continuous hours. I am not sure who this punishment has inflicted more suffering on: my son or me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 660
You deserved it 33 342

mf09 tells us more.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

Top comments

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

Nah - it sounds like the discipline was WAAAAAYYYY overdue!

Comments

I'm a whitey myself. I could care less what the typical stereotype is. If my kid misbehaved, I would gladly knock some sense into him. My mom used to beat my ass if I was being a brat. I have a few friends who's version of discipline is telling them they can't watch a movie or some other lame punishment. Their kids are completely misbehaved... Funny that the kids don't like me to come over to hang with their parents, cause they know I won't take their shit. Now, if only we could get the kids these days to stop mimicking all the bad behavior on tv and understand that its either just fantasy, or in the case of reality tv or pop culture, it's nothing but a bunch of grownups reverting back to the level of a 5th grader, then we may have a bit of hope for this world. So, to put it into terms most people can understand. Discipline your kid. catch them on their BS. Be fair, but be firm. You are the parent, they are your child. Make them earn what they get, don't hand crap to them on an effing silver platter just cause you got the money. Teach them the value of a dollar and make sure they don't short-change themselves by acting like one of those common "get-rich or die tryin" hoodlums (to you imbeciles who may take that as a racial slur, screw off, if they perpetuate their stereotype, they can handle being labeled as an ignorant fool, and thats directed to any racial group, us whiteys have one too, its called white trash). Parents need to learn to grow a pair and instill some values back into the youth.

050294 0

^^This times 1000. I agree, kids NEED to be disciplined by a smack to the behind and their parents should NOT take their bullshit. I was raised by a rich family, and even though my parents were VERY generous to me and my younger brother, we still understood the value of a dollar and kept out of trouble or whe'd be whooped.

Americunt 0

Somebody hasn't been getting some goodies.

this this and THIS! Correct on every point!

Hey this long-ass paragraph's actually legit... thanks Zombie

Celestyna 16

I’ve never smacked or yelled at my child, ever, he’s 8, mature as **** for his age and isn’t a bully or disrespects anyone, ever, he helps me with dinner, not because I ask him to but he’ll COME OVER and start helping, he’s the most affectionate child, ever. He gets A’s and B’s, he plays music and chess and excels in them. You don’t need to be harsh to get your point across if they do something you don’t agree with. What do I do then? I sit down with him and tell him why he shouldn’t do what he did because this and this could happen It’s more effective than people think.

why would you ground him? just give him a time out!

Yes, because every kid is terrified of sitting in a corner for 10 minutes. TERRIFIED.

Seriously, OP: That is HORRIBLE parenting. If you allow a child to act out beyond a few minutes, it's a tantrum and an attempt to force you to bend to his will. You need to gain control of the situation, because you are teaching your child two extremely destructive things: one, that you can be manipulated by being made uncomfortable or that you deserve to be punished for denying his wants; and two, that the appropriate response to being unhappy is to lose all control and not care about anyone else around you. IF your child grows up to be an anti-social criminal, you will have no one to blame but yourself. And lastly, this is not some demon child who is beyond your control and giving you something to whine about here on this forum. YOU are creating a monster by being a passive parent and not choosing the route of actually training this kid to be a productive and well-adjusted adult. YOU FAIL.

Uhhh yeah they are. She grounded him didn't she? Besides, all the bullshit your telling the OP isn't neccessarily true. I threw tantrums when I was little and when I saw I wasn't getting a reaction from my parents, I figured out it wasn't worth it and stopped. I did the same tactic when I babysat my little cousins and it still worked. I'm a well adjusted adult now and they are too. So stop jumping down the OP's throat as if you gave the monopoly on parenting skills.

I can't believe you actually allow him to be heard! I would give him an additional missed outing for every moment he keeps up his tantrum! Your kid rules the household apparently

Ignoring a tanturm is the best way to handle one. It shows the kid that his screaming and carrying on will not get any attention whatsoever. So actually this is a parenting win.

youthink_fml 0

Grounding also punishes you by having to listen to him. Besides, I'm sure he has enough toys around the house that he probably doesn't mind it unless he has something he wants to do. Instead, make him do chores. That's also a win for you.

Here's my advice. Video his tantrum, then threaten to show it at his next scout meeting.

That is an amazing idea! Mind if I use it when mine throws a tantrum next time?

perdix 29

If he is a proper smart ass, you ought to have him posting FML comments instead of going to anti-gay gay frolics in the woods.