By Mom - 05/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I grounded my son for being a smart ass. Now he can't go to the cub scout campout this weekend. He's been howling, sobbing, stomping, slamming and screaming for about three continuous hours. I am not sure who this punishment has inflicted more suffering on: my son or me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 660
You deserved it 33 342

mf09 tells us more.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

Top comments

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

Nah - it sounds like the discipline was WAAAAAYYYY overdue!

Comments

I can neither FYL or YDI. All I can say is 'Thank you for being a parent'. If you let him get away with the tantrum without punishment though, then you deserve the headache. And for those saying 'punishment and crime', it is your right to ground him for infractions of any kind, and the consequences don't care what the calendar says. Don't give in! All that teaches is that you are a pushover and he can get what he wants by screaming.

You totally deserve it for punishing your kids. You're not supposed to instill a sense of right and wrong and teach them respect like any other decent parent would. Otherwise how else are the going to blend in with the rest of the stuckup assholes in today's society?

poeticpunk77 0

I don't understand why people are saying the OP shouldn't have prevented him from going on the retreat? Obviously the kid KNEW the retreat was this weekend so maybe he shouldn't have been acting like a smart ass in the first place. However, I don't think you should have let him keep throwing a tantrum for 3 hours. That's slightly ridiculous.

KurouTenshi 0

ydi for not whooping his ass LOL

weheuw 0

Grounding is stupid. Maybe you should try to actually talk to your kid.. 'Ever heard of "democratic education"..?

YDI for not adding more grounded time because of his childish behavior. Every time he slams doors, add another day. Eventually he'll get it.

Are you really complaining about being a parent? Don't have kids if you're going to be a whiny bitch about it.

what on the HELL were you thinking? are you going to ground him from his vitamins next time he misbehaves? smack his ass and be done with it! dont take away things that will help him in life. think out your consequences..