By Mom - 05/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I grounded my son for being a smart ass. Now he can't go to the cub scout campout this weekend. He's been howling, sobbing, stomping, slamming and screaming for about three continuous hours. I am not sure who this punishment has inflicted more suffering on: my son or me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 660
You deserved it 33 342

mf09 tells us more.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

Top comments

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

Nah - it sounds like the discipline was WAAAAAYYYY overdue!

Comments

Just don't give him any attention, he sounds like a drama-queen.

skyeyez9 24

spankings and punishment while they are being done, the kids hate it, but when they are grown will thank you! How many times have you seen a spoiled child have a fit and the parent caves in to the child's tantrum? You most likely think: that mom needs to beat that kids ass! Or "Im glad my parents wern't sissies like that parent and just gave me a time out or gave me what I wanted." Todays parents want to be their child's best friend rather than a parent and set clear boundaries, rules, and discipline.

uriel538 0

spank his ass and than he'll stop

Wow are you YDI people for real? How on earth is he letting him get away with it? OP is quite clearly ignoring the tantrum therefore not letting the brat get his own damn way. I know that how I was delt with when I was a child, if I threw a tantrum is was ignored no matter how long I carried on. And I never got anything from throwing one. Letting him carry on but ignoring it shows the kid he's not gonna get what he wants just from kicking and screaming. Good parenting imho. Sure scouting can be helpful, but its also something the kid really wants, making him miss out on one campout to show him that being disrespectful is wrong will make him think twice next time he goes to do it. And thats the problem with kids these days. Hell, I'm only 20 and I'm still disgusted at the way children these days speak to their parents, had I spoken to my mother like that when I was a child it would've been world war 3. Discipline your child. Don't cater to their every whim. Make them miss out on a thing or 2 if they misbehave, or they'll end up thinking the rules don't apply to them and they'll be a mess when they're older.

If I could like this comment a million times I would. You brought tears to my eyes with your common sense. Thank you so much for not being a pushover :)

Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity.

Good post but you missed one thing. Over disciplining can be just as bad as under disciplining. If your punishments are too harsh and too often or for little things then eventually your kids gonna become extremely resentful of you and rebel in a big way, especially if this happens when they become a teenager. If you put the pressure down too much, they'll eventually fight back harder. So I votes YDI....missing a big event like that means he's getting grounded for a while....for being a smartass? I knew kids who got grounded like that....they all had interesting teen years.

YDI for not letting him go. My gosh let him do something constructive--he will be outta your hair, too!

Tough stuff, but hang in there, OP. You're doing the right thing. I'm not a parent, but I am sure of it. I frequently do my court reporting work in the county juvenile hall. Generally it is not the kids who really weird the staff out, but the parents and the insane excuses they make for criminal behavior. I wish more parents were like you so that juvenile detention centers would be hurting for business.

xxmarlboroxx 0

I say good job OP! stood your ground. but I don't think I would put up with the howling. tell him every tine he cries counts for one more cubscout event he gets to miss

It's nice to see a parent who punishes children for bad behaviour, But I wouldn't really stop your son from going to the cubs just for being a smart ass, if it's a small thing like that I'd just take away a game or something until he apolagised. Stopping him from going to cubs would be for something like stealing or setting something on fire or something really bad like that. Mind you, my kid is only 11 months old so I haven't had to think about punishment yet lol So I'm not really all that qualified when it comes to punishing children. But FYL cos my daughter can really cause me hell when she cries for hours on end when she refuses to go to sleep so I know how you feel having to listen to a child throw tantrums lol.

geordieboysgirl 0

Obviously 90 percent of these responses come from people who are not parents. Good for you OP. Unfortunately, frequently appropriate punishments hit you too. Let him have his tantrum, if you don't react to it there will be no reinforcement for future tantrums (and negative reinforcement is reinforcement).