By Mom - 05/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I grounded my son for being a smart ass. Now he can't go to the cub scout campout this weekend. He's been howling, sobbing, stomping, slamming and screaming for about three continuous hours. I am not sure who this punishment has inflicted more suffering on: my son or me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 660
You deserved it 33 342

mf09 tells us more.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

Top comments

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

Nah - it sounds like the discipline was WAAAAAYYYY overdue!

Comments

dude you have to follow through. hes just trying to test you. let him cry. if you sucker in, he`ll just keep doing it every time hes bad cuz he knows you`ll give in.

That's a pretty cruel punishment for being a smart-ass. He's just a kid, give him a break. I think he learned his lesson already.

jamalw23 0

OP ydi. I know how it feels, my mom grounded be from going to the gym when she knows I want to lose weight. SMH!

I can tell which of these comments were written by people who are not parents. Yep, you all know EVERYTHING about parenting (until you have a child). Funny.

today I came in fml to read some funny comments, instead I found some insecure parents discussing the ways to descipline their kids.. FML

Crush89 0

need to man up and use a switch on his rear

Erindub 0

Ahh I'm so glad I don't have kids. I bet you were looking forward to gettin rid of him for the weekend too

Erindub 0

Oh yeah and theres nothing wrong with smoking pot and laying a hand on your child is abusive. I love how people are frightened of weed but will beat the crap out of their children. Way to go!

keep your son in check. make him learn his lesson or he will walk over you and give you real parental issues in the future. like high school where they all seem to have something up their ass.

HunniHeart 4

you're a bad parent for letting your son become a bratty monster