By Mom - 05/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I grounded my son for being a smart ass. Now he can't go to the cub scout campout this weekend. He's been howling, sobbing, stomping, slamming and screaming for about three continuous hours. I am not sure who this punishment has inflicted more suffering on: my son or me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 660
You deserved it 33 342

mf09 tells us more.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

Top comments

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

Nah - it sounds like the discipline was WAAAAAYYYY overdue!

Comments

TryToBeKind 0

Oh, you are being punished, kids punish parents for disciplining them but it's because they want to test the boundary you set down. He's testing you to see if you'll get sick of his reaction and just send him away. Don't back down, that will be the real FYL if you do. You can, however, make it clear that the stomping etc WILL stop. Begin removing everything from his room but his mattress, bedclothes and two outfits. Everything. Then confine him there, he can only come out for bathroom breaks (Hell, on the job you only get to go every two to four hours if you're lucky, that's not abuse) and for dinner (if he doesn't eat right, he eats it in his room). That will surely drive a point home. The key here is to stick to what you said. Oh, and good behavior earns him stuff back and bad behavior puts him back to square one. Good luck!

Rico5037 0
anhero333 0

you are the biggest asshole ever for 1 grounding your young child. 2 for not letting him live his childhood to it's fullest. and 3 for not realizing that he is a child and he probably didn't even know he was being a smart ass. ********.

so you grounded your son for being smarter than you but that only made things worse for both of you guys...he wasnt being a smartass, you were just being a dumbass.

I happen to be the OP and to the folks who think I am mean because I didn't let him go to the scouting event: it is a SPECIAL event. He's not out of scouts. He just needed a really serious wake up call. To the folks who think I am mean because I punished him for being a smart ass: The reality is this was a compound offense. He got into trouble for not doing what I asked and got a minor punishment (chores). He got mouthy about the chores and lost his special event. To the folks who think I need to paddle him more: you may be right but he's getting too old for that. To the folks who think I shouldn't let him throw the tantrum: Awesome idea, beyond smacking him as suggested and grounding him as done, what's the methodology for that? He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my FML. Special event at school next week will be cancelled too if he keeps it up. Love my boy. Tough love today.

kbiz 0

i think you are being exactly the right kind of parent. good job.

You're doing a great job, then. Sounds like he's maybe 9 or 10, which I agree is a little old for a whooping (except for very severe offenses), and you're doing pretty much all you can. My younger brother is 14 and still throws tantrums like this... the best thing to do really is to just ignore it. **** all the people bitching about your parenting- keep it up and your kid will appreciate it when he's old enough. I know I certainly thank MY parents for it, now that I'm 21 and well adjusted :)

tb15 0

I can picture how the punishment went Dad:Mow the lawn Son: okay Five minutes later... Dad:You haven't finished mowing the lawn yet?! Now you have to do chores as punishment! Son:Okay Five Hours later... Son:I'm done with the chores Dad:Don't Get mouthy with me! You're Grounded!! and forget about the yearly campout!! Three Hours of silence Later... Son: I think this punishment is slightly unfair. Dad: God!!!! I can't take your yelling any more!!!! I'm gonna post about it online and if you keep this up you'll miss your special school event too.

tb15 0

sorry, just realized the OP's a woman. don't know why I assumed it was a man.

Good job. Now did you happen to sit down and explain to your son why you did it?

Usually in parent speak, "getting mouthy" means that he probably didn't really say all that much. I know this because my dad was like that. He said I was "giving him lip" when I didn't agree with the bedtime he set on a weekend (who even does that?). All I said was "It's 10pm." I'm sorry, but unless you give me an example of what he said, I'm still gonna have to say YDI.

Nzhangftw 7

He stayed in his room to howl and holler. I ignored it and posted my fml

Too old for a whooping? Maybe, but once I was too old for a 'spanning' I got got it with a belt. Last time I got whooped I was 15

ydi it for grounding him for a stupid reason, asshole

I want to know the case of smart-assness. did he say something witty like that's what she said or did he like oh I dunno.

I believe in instances like this, my mom would say that she'd let me off the hook just this once, but do it again and the punishment would be worse, and I'd be a little angel because she was so merciful and I was so grateful.

Splayd 10

Same here. But I think that only works on children who have been raised in such a way that they have good hearts.