By DeannaMarie - 26/12/2009 20:48 - United States

Today, I found out the gift card my friend gave me for Christmas actually has no money on it and was never purchased in the first place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 303
You deserved it 2 346

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awesome friend! Did they have a highlighter rash on their face by any chance?

I would ask your friend if the actually put money on it and if they did get th reciept, when I worked in retail there was a guy we fired because he would ring out a gift card for somone then hand them an empty one and pocket the other. you may fond your friend is a douche or that they got ripped off.

Comments

how would you have found that out?! did (s)he tell you?...not the no money part, but the never purchased in the first place part....

how gift cards work is they dont have money on them unless they are activated. They get activated when bought, because the cashier activates them. Cleary this card wasn't activated so it had no money and also never got bought because it never got brought to the cashier. ergo said card was stolen.

When someone 'buys' a gift card the assistant at the checkout has to swipe it and tell the computer how much cash value to add to the card. There is no money on the card before that. I don't expect the shops care much if people take worthless cards. >>>Oops obviously brutallyhonest24 got there just before me. Except for my last sentence. That still Stands. :)

Although it is still stealing regardless of whether you get away with it and I don't advise anyone to do it.

Hey, there's a funny site like FML but where visitors can tell their darkest secrets! It's www.whatasecret.com :)

What did the comment say? it was moderated.

redshortsx 0

what did #2 say? and how bad do you have to be to get moderated? because I see ppl talking about rape on here that don't get moderated

1800getalife 0

ooo omg a 100 dollar gift card, AMA steal it and not get it registered and give it to my best friend. epic fail

Not really a FYL unless you got in trouble for it. Just means your friend isn't the sharpest crayon in the box.

That happened to me too...it just means the store screwed up and forgot to activate it.

I would ask your friend if the actually put money on it and if they did get th reciept, when I worked in retail there was a guy we fired because he would ring out a gift card for somone then hand them an empty one and pocket the other. you may fond your friend is a douche or that they got ripped off.