By Anonymous - 23/03/2016 22:48 - United States - Lake Worth

Today, I found out that my mom has been deliberately forgetting to help me practice my driving. It's not because the insurance will go up once I pass the test, she doesn't want my 14 year-old sister to feel left behind. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 702
You deserved it 1 194

Same thing different taste

Top comments

My best advice is to find someone else to practise with, it's not your fault you mum wants to keep you and your younger sister at, kind of, the same age. Try to find someone who won't want to keep you back, maybe you can even give you sister rides once you complete your test :)

Sorry Op. Your mum's logic sucks. Use your determination to find someone else to teach you and I'm sure you'll have your licence in no time.

Comments

If your mom has sisters she might be doing what was done in her household

Find someone else. Ask a Family friend/friend to help out. I never got to practice with my mom, I worked at 16 and paid for Driver Ed Classes. I had to work anyways as my mom said my part of the car insurance is my responsibility. (As it should be!)

OP probably lives in a different area. Some places let kids drive at 14.5, others at 15, and others at 15.5. Just consider yourself really lucky

Unless he's in Wyoming he probably means that he doesn't do it legally. Me and most people I know learned how to drive before we actually got our permits.

I feel your pain OP... My father used to do the same type of 'parenting' with me and my 5 years younger sister...

That's ridiculous. Your 14 year old sister won't feel left behind for long, and it's more important to let you drive than it than it is too "hurt her feelings." She'll get over it, especially when she starts driving (which will happen really soon, anyways).

My parents did that. I didn't get an allowance raise until my brother was old enough to get it too. Drivers license, cell phone, laptop, car, etc...

Theater_Chef_3 30

I was 14 when my sister was 16 and I never felt jealous she could drive and I couldn't, if anything it made me excited to be able to start driving soon.

Can you find someone else to drive with? Like another relative or even a friend's parent.

My mother refused to teach me to drive, because she didn't get her license until 30, and "girls don't need to drive anywhere, there are men for that." My dad got his license taken away, and never misses a day to tell me to learn to drive. So, FYL, FYL, FYL, you have all my empathy.

I can kind of understand where you are coming from OP. My sister and I are a year apart and we are both learning to drive. My older sister for a while was the only one they would teach how to drive because she got her learners permit first and it was hard to teach us both. Maybe tell your mum that if you get your licence first she would have more time to teach your little sister or maybe you can drive her around from time to time?