By comeonnow - 25/09/2016 18:53 - United States - Coldwater

Today, my mom's boss reversed into my parked car. She expects me to say that it's my fault so she doesn't have her insurance increase. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 450
You deserved it 753

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ummm. No. Your moms boss hit your car. They need to be accountable for that.

I had to reread this like five times to realize that it was the boss who told you that and not your mom..I was so confused. Tell your mom what happened for sure.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Your Mom or Boss? It really changes the FML depending on who.

It's the boss that OP is referring to.

I had to reread this like five times to realize that it was the boss who told you that and not your mom..I was so confused. Tell your mom what happened for sure.

Ummm. No. Your moms boss hit your car. They need to be accountable for that.

I mean you can settle repair costs privately and doing that could save an uncomfortable work relationship for your mum and stop the bosses insurance going up, whilst your car still gets fixed without you paying.

Orrrrrrrr... She could just tell the truth, because the boss deserves an insurance increase since it was her fault (and even moreso for trying to avoid it). The boss can't exactly let this effect the work relationship with OP's mom, or else HR will be in contact with them.

Remind her that that is insurance fraud and you can't.

stressengr 13

Just don't tell any insurance company then have your Mom's boss pay for your repairs. If she doesn't, report the accident.

this is a valid way out of the situation, not sure why it's getting downvoted

So you're saying if a family member's boss backed into YOUR car, you would want to say it's you that hit the boss's car and make your own insurance go up?

#23 if nobody puts a claim in nobody's at fault at least with the insurance company.

Ask your mom what to do. She might say she likes/needs the job so much, you might need to "take one for the team." Otherwise, she might tell you to give her boss a financial **** punch of justice. I hope it's the latter.

Why the downvotes? It's the best piece of advice given here. Her mom may be highly affected by the OP's decision. Besides, who doesn't love justice?

I assume the downvotes are because the boss can't legally do anything to the mom because of this. And if they tried, the mom could just go to HR and the boss would not only have their insurance increase but may be out of a job.

You're correct. The boss wouldn't fire her mom right away -- that would be obvious retaliation. In a few months, the boss will cite budget cutbacks, business slowdown, etc. as reasons to lay her off.

species4872 19

Honestly if I was in this situation, the boss trying to get me to lie would just make me even more willing to tell the truth. And I'd be laughing about it the entire time.