By tayluh26 - 15/02/2010 05:03 - United States

Today, I found out that my fiancé's parents are refusing to pay for a honeymoon, because they "didn't have one, so neither will we", meaning they won't pay for a single thing for our wedding. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 652
You deserved it 16 033

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why don't you save and pay for it yourselves? That IS an option, you kno.

TrekkieGirl 0

Agreed with the previous postings. Honestly, if you're old enough to be getting married, then you should be able to afford to pay for the wedding and the honeymoon. If you can't afford it, then you need to figure something out. It's not the parents responsibility, it's yours. YDI for not planning ahead.

Comments

y0ungm0mmie 0

uuuhm,yall are old enough to get married , right? mature enough? ... than ur old enough and mature enough to PAY FOR UR OWN WEDDING! DAMN! you cant live off of mommy & daddy foreverr

birds_fml 7

Holy crap pay for your own damn wedding and honeymoon you entitled bitch. What are you, 12?

monnanon 13

maybe the FML is the fact that her parents are paying for some of the wedding and her fiancés parents are refusing to do it. I agree that they dont have to but at most weddings the parents chip in. The fiancés parents are also being a wee bit nasty in their reasoning for not paying.

Agreed. It's retarded selfishness. "I don't have this so neither will you." They must have been jealous of everyone else in their lifetime over every god damn thing.

CheshireHalli 19

Thank you! Everywhere I've read it says that both sets of parents pay... But this isn't "We don't have the money." but "We didn't have one, so you shouldn't." FYL, OP.

Oscar_Wilde 0

Maybe it's more like "we didn't need it, and you don't either," which is more reasonable honestly. People have a tendency to distort the truth when they're complaining.

Yeah, I think it's pretty douchey of them too.

why should they? its YOUR wedding and YOUR honeymoon isnt it?

I can't believe you actually EXPECT them to pay for something you want. It's not like they're getting married, you know. Even if they liked you (unlike something mentioned earlier), I doubt they'll still like for expecting THEM to pay for YOUR wedding/honeymoon/whatever. If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to pay for it yourself. If I were to get married and my parents would offer to pay a part (which I doubt, because it's an inane and old fashioned idea) I'd refuse. I don't want others to pay for me, I can make my own money and won't depend on others. Unless, of course, you're forced to marry your fiancé because of (completely ridiculous) agreements your parents made. In which case, I'd get the hell out while you still can.

Damn you egoistical moron. I know it's typical of the parents to pay for something, but it's YOUR wedding. So you can't expect them to pay ANYTHING for you actually.

What the ****? Pay for your own wedding! My dad's got some good coin stored away, and I wouldn't have DREAMED about asking him to help me pay for my own wedding!

I dunno how it is with everyone one else, but in my culture majority of the wedding is paid by parents of both sides. The bride and groom can chip in if they wanna pay for dress, tux etc. But the major expenses are usually paid for by the parents. One set of parents will do like the food, the hall, the invitations, the other might do honeymoon, photographer etc. And if the OPs parents are putting in their part and the Inlaws are refusing to help, that puts OP in a very bad position. Cause you can imagine the bitching and the fighting that would be going on. Weddings usually also cause a lot of arguments in my culture about where to have it, who to invite, what to eat etc wince everyone who is paying for something has a different opinion.

It has been 'tradition' for a bride's parents to pay for the wedding.....I emphasize tradition. It is not the law that they pay one cent. I have never heard of the parents paying for the honeymoon...again tradition (well here anyways) is for the couple or the new husband to pay for their own honeymoon. Neither your parents nor his should be expected to pay for your 'holiday'. It's also tradition here for the bride to pay for her own gown, the groom pays for his own suit etc. When I got married I refused to let my parents foot the bill for everything....plus I did things on a budget. If you are smart to can still have a 'fancy' wedding if you do a lot of the decorations etc yourself. Cheaper to buy the materials and make them than get them ready made. I wanted a specific lace for my dress that had seed pearls and sequins on it plus decorative pieces around the neck and on the arms.....I priced the lace, it was $27 a meter...so what did I do? Got the lace that was the same (without the pearls and sequins) at a fraction of the price, bought the seed pearls and sequins and sewed them all by hand myself. ....... All 12 metres of it!!. This was after I priced the dress I wanted that was ready made. I bought the materials and had someone make it for me.....again, at a fraction of the price. I think it's totally selfish and self centered of you to expect someone to pay for everything, honestly, get off your arse and work to pay for most of it yourself!!

u wanna get married? pay for it yourselves you cretins. how rude just expectIng someone else to pick up the tab