By engagedmaybe - 02/02/2010 06:20 - United States

Today, I found out that my boyfriend asked me to marry him because he could get a tax cut from buying the ring. All of this happened in front of his mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 797
You deserved it 2 452

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He should be marrying you because he loves you, not because of a tax cut. Dump his cheap ass.

There is no "tax break" for buying a ring. Your boyfriend is apparently very gullible. His trip to the jewelry store: BF: "I'm looking for a modestly priced engagement ring." Salesperson: "Well, today is your lucky day! Just this weekend we have a special deal, and it's part of the government's stimulus plan. If you buy this $20,000 ring, you can get a tax credit of $25,000. In essence, you get the ring for free AND get money back!" BF: "That doesn't sound right... how does this work?" Salesperson: "The government is trying to stimulate the economy, and the best way to do that is to encourage the purchase of very expensive items. But it's only for this weekend, so you have to act now!" BF: "Sounds good. I'll take it!" This is not an FML for you. It will become an FML if you still decide to marry him, knowing that he is a moron who thinks he can get a "tax break" for buying jewelry.

Comments

responses 0

Some people get so mad over fml lmao. By the way mr fml moderator it's 2nd not 2th genius.

PerlaPsychotic 0

Hahah Wtf Learn How to Spell.

GGTM0710 0

dump him and never speak to him again! btw, y r u with such an ass?

Wow that's so stupid. I vote we all write what he told us not to. He can't ban all the people who read fml, he'll have no job

mishkaroni 15

2th especially since that's not correct at all!

Maybe he was joking..or his mother is insanely practical and thats the reasoning he used when he told her. Or you should run

Why would he have even bought a ring if he didnt wanna mary you?! Seriously, think a little

The tax break comes from being married. The ring is on you. Marital status is what generally affects liability. *sarcasm* Why else would one get married?