By allergic - 21/10/2010 03:12 - France

Today, I found out that I have a gluten allergy. What this basically means is that I can't eat anything with wheat in it; bread, pasta, cake, you name it. I am Italian, this basically limits me from eating any of the awesome food my family makes almost every night. Here I come plain rice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 727
You deserved it 3 297

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There are gluten free flours out there -not at good as the real thing but still work-able. it's awful at first but eventually you learn to adapt and barely even notice the difference.

I've got that too ;( Believe me that sucks!

Comments

Oh someone call the waaaambulance. OP, I'm allergic to wheat and I'm Italian too. I didn't post an FML about it. Why? Because I go to Earth Fare which has all my typical Italian fixings and they're gluten-free.

HamsteronA 0

You beat me to my comment #18. There are thousands, maybe millions of people with allergies. What makes OP so special? Oh, (s)he's ITALIAN. There are other italians with allergies, like my above commenter. Stop bitching and get over it.

I don't have any allergies and Im not Italian. I just think *18 is being a bit of a b**** you included. much love ;)

0hSleeper 0

butt munch. it's their FML and they'll whine if they want to.

hakukunai2 0

I like white rice(: Only Japanese white rice from Japan :D Maybe because I'm Japanese lol Shipping to the mainland or wherever you are is expensive but I live in the Pacific so it g xD

Japanese rice is THE BEST. other rice isn't even close. except for the rice that japan imports.

thikimo 0

I disagree. just because it's from japan doesn't mean it's good. best I've had was from china

surefirewinners 0

Best I had was from Panda Express. :)

0hSleeper 0
Qluz 3

rice is rice. except when you use just chicken soup to cook then yes. that is the best rice

I have had a gluten allergy for 7 years and LOVE italian food. Gluten free pasta is great and I feel SO much better since not eating gluten anymore. My family has been great and I enjoy great sauces on my very own pasta :) I think you will wind up being happier than you think.

riskakitty 0

there are many other alternatives besides just rice. I have this too and have found many things I can eat. mine isn't severe so I can still eat wheat without too much concern I'll just suffer for it when I'm older. I was just at zio's the other day and they had a gluten free menu. that happens to be an Italian restaurant.

SexiAmber1990 0

Regardless of wether or not you get the physical symptoms, you're still damaging your villi. Which can lead to other illnesses and make you more gluten sensitive.

afi_motleycrue 0

That does suck, but if you didn't know, there are actually a bunch of different kinds of gluten free pastas and breads and all, you just have to look for them and find the right stores--most of which are on the east coast--it may not be too easy to find a lot of them at first or many that taste good, but most health food stores have a pretty good selection

There are a TON on the west coast. It's also pretty much no problem if you have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby, or whatever your local equivalent might be.

FFML_314 11

Being allergic to anything sucks, but there are ways around it.

Oh this is not even bad! I have actual celiac disease and found out when no one even knew what it was, meaning I really did live on rice. There is so much Gluten free product available now that it's manageable and most restaurants have Gluten free menus...try getting this 7 to 10 ago then you have reason to complain!

Yeah, recently g-free cookbooks and foods have turned up everywhere. My aunt has celiac's; it was undiagnosed for years. When she was finally diagnosed properly, she basically went carb-free. Now she can eat just about anything I do with a little advance thought and prep.