By strawberrypuff - 04/05/2009 23:39 - United States

Today, I found out nobody in my family wants to come to my college graduation. I spent 4 years and $60,000 to be the first person in my family to go to college, and nobody wants to see me graduate because the 4 hour ceremony is too long. FML
I agree, your life sucks 78 463
You deserved it 4 603

Same thing different taste

Top comments

brodizzle 0

You didn't spend 60k on the ceremony... you spent it on the education you got, and the diploma.

Guess you get a free ticket to not go to one of their weddings, funerals, etc...!

Comments

bonehead800 0

Graduation IS huge waste of time. I'm graduating with my doctorate next week and the only reason I'm going (and the only reason I went to undergrad... and highschool ceremonies) is that my parents are so looking forward to it. I wish they weren't. It's several boring hours of people blathering on with the same old inanities about the future, meeting your goals, etc. Utter waste. You're lucky no one else is concerned about it, now you can skip too!

Well it's pretty obvious why you were the first one to go to college!

What college, date and time, I'll show up :) ......... Maybe

I'm a professional musician and have been called on to perform in at least a dozen collegiate graduation ceremonies. Your parents are right. Graduation ceremonies are incredibly long and boring. Unless you go to a major school and have someone like Barack Obama as your speaker, your family can better spend their time doing something else. I know when I graduate I'm going to insist that they not come.

QueenOfMelodrama 0

As much as that stinks, graduation ceremonies are INCREDIBLY boring. My parents were begging me to go to the ceremony when I graduated from a COMMUNITY COLLEGE and I thought they were nuts. I still had two more years at a real college to go. I told them I'd go when I graduated from an actual university. Personally I'd be glad that they didn't care so I wouldn't have to go myself. However, since you DO care, that's kind of rude of them to decline. Your situation is different. If you're the first in your family, that's something to be proud of. Hopefully you can convince them to go.

tht sucks! good job tho dont let ur family bring u down!!