By NowBroke - 04/04/2016 09:38 - United Kingdom - Malmesbury

Today, I found out my mother drives my car. I was okay with it; I don't use it all the time and she's my mother. However, I was not okay with the multiple speeding tickets that came through in the post. "You're the registered keeper, so why should I pay?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 585
You deserved it 1 840

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shadowvoid 33

I would speedily take the keys away from her and never allow her to drive again. You could lose your license from losing points.

Looks like it's time to start hiding your keys.

Comments

Make her pay. Go to court if you have to, don't give in.

In Australia you can sign a statutory declaration to say it was the other person driving and have the ticket transferred to them. If it's a speed camera ticket, they can then check the photo to verify that if the person denies it. I hope that kind of thing is available to you. The fine is bad enough. Wearing her demerit points as well is worse. Your car keys definitely need to be on you at all times and no spares in the house. Your mum's being totally inconsiderate and unfair.

Australia is a bit out of my league when it concerns the law, but in the UK most traffic cameras are pointed away from the direction of travel. So there is no discernible face on it. Also, wouldn't something like that go to court and require evidence to actually prove someone else was driving? Otherwise you could just sick it in someone you don't like...

Still if you are the keeper or not...it's her ticket...in her name (according to where I am) so technically your payment unless in cash wouldn't qualify

Fight the tickets! Make her responsible for such a thing!!

Next time report your car as stolen. ?

In Minnesota, the driver, not the owner gets the ticket, and that's why red light cameras are illegal in my state.

I guess she's not using the car anymore

In Britain a speeding ticket from a camera will be sent to the registered keeper's address. The registered keeper must then either admit they were driving or supply the details of the person that was. To lie about this is to commit perjury (you're also obstructing the course of justice) and if found out you would be liable for a custodial sentence. Bear in mind they have a picture of your mother driving. I don't know how old you are, but can she pass for your age? Please google the story of MP Chris Huhne and his wife and take heed. Put your mam's details down, tell her to man up and accept the responsibility. You shouldn't have to risk prison (as well as increased insurance premiums and possible ban)

I mean perverting the course of justice - it's early and I'm tired!

Interesting, but as far as I can tell, speeding cameras in the UK are pointed AWAY from the direction of travel (this is already required by law in some other countries, to avoid blinding someone with the flash). So it's basically impossible to have someone's face on the picture...

Sorry, I read that wrong. That would have your face on it. I wonder what would happen if your face is not recognisable on it though. There are plenty of ways to avoid having your face on it. It is the entire reason they stopped doing that in Germany. Because everyone just had their face hidden on the pictures...

Oh, and don't report the car as stolen - British police aren't that stupid (especially if your mother is trying to avoid multiple tickets on multiple days)

To put it bluntly, your mum's an asshole.