By NowBroke - 04/04/2016 09:38 - United Kingdom - Malmesbury

Today, I found out my mother drives my car. I was okay with it; I don't use it all the time and she's my mother. However, I was not okay with the multiple speeding tickets that came through in the post. "You're the registered keeper, so why should I pay?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 585
You deserved it 1 840

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shadowvoid 33

I would speedily take the keys away from her and never allow her to drive again. You could lose your license from losing points.

Looks like it's time to start hiding your keys.

Comments

ashyash90 8

Report that your mother has been joyriding in your car without your permission and that you didn't know until you got the tickets. sure, she'll get in trouble but you won't be responsible. or at least tell her you're going to report her and have her legally held responsible and made to pay or that she can pay them and you won't report her. I'm sure she'd rather pay than be arrested. tough love but if she's an ADULT and doesn't understand that she should have to pay for the consequences of her own actions, no matter whose property she's using, she NEEDS a serious wake up call!

You do realise this would actually be classed as theft if you did that? That would require you to file a stolen vehicle report against your mother. And if you don't have any real evidence your mother was driving, where do you think this case will be going?

You do know that you could appeal the ticket and take it to court with the arguement that it was not you driving the vehicle.

That would require the mother to come in as well and if she denies the whole thing you have no case, unless you have hard evidence she was driving.

"Because you want to continue driving MY car."

Wow what a ******* mooch. **** her. She loses her driving privileges if she won't pay the consequences of HER actions.

I am sure there is some way you can have your mum be responsible for paying off the tickets. Look into it

Well, the only way I know is tell on her to the police, but that will require both of you to come into court. And if she denies the whole thing and you have no evidence she was driving, you have no case. It will also probably ruin your relationship (even further, based on op's post) with your mother.

Make her pay for them and make her pay for your insurance since it will get really expensive

If you're in the UK you can ask for the photo evidence and tell them it was your deadbeat mother driving.

d3vil666 6

Ya it take that shit back if she's that dumb she shouldn't be driving to begin with

Take her to court. Then have them replace your ignition switch (fairly inexpensive) so that your car key will change and do not give her a copy or leave them out!