By hellpop - 24/05/2015 13:19 - United Kingdom - London

Today, I felt pretty. As I deal with a severe anxiety and depression, I was proud of myself. All until a little girl asked: "Are you a boy or a girl?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 765
You deserved it 3 397

hellpop tells us more.

Hey, OP here! c I just wanted to quickly clarify, I did not expect this to be published I was having a pretty bad day and out of needing to vent so I posted the most recent event. I am a cis female, not transgender. However I have polycystic ovarian disorder and I deal with hair growing in places such as my face which is why I believe the girl asked as I hadn't shaved that day... For me, the testosterone I have really effects my confidence so this did knock me back a little bit but thankfully I have very supportive friends and wonderful boyfriend who tell me not to worry so much. c: Thank you for all the positive feedback and comments, it really helps.

Top comments

Hey, it's just a little kid. I'm sure you looked perfect today op!

#102 Shaving doesn't make your hair grow back thicker, it's just a myth.

Comments

Just back up and think. You are, I assume, an adult being proud of yourself for looking "pretty". Similar to a grown man being proud of himself for not coloring outside of the lines. You need serious help if your pride comes from something as trivial as outward appearances and even more help if you hardly ever feel that pride.

MzZombicidal 36

Wow, I guess anyone who's ever a little insecure can just **** off? Lol. Since so much of everyday life is based off of looks, I'd sat OP is entitled to feeling a bit down once in a while. Get over yourself, dude.

Jesus Christ op its just a little girl who the **** cares

Don't take The words of a small child out of context. The child probably thought you were very nice I'm sure you were. Small children have a hard time occasionally determining sexuality. The child could also come from a family or there is a variety of social exposure and they been taught not to judge and they may be used to meeting people of a different lifestyle. That's not to say anything negative about you some children are taught to ask questions and not assume. The fact that the child noticed you and talk to you clearly indicates that there is something about you that attracts them to you. Small children are usually talk not to talk to strangers. If you're happy with the way you look that's all that matters. Your sensitivity shows that you're beautiful on the inside and I'm confident that reflects the beauty on the outside. Smile and be glad that a small child took the time to talk to a stranger. You have got to be special

This is probably going to come off offensive, but this has nothing to do with sexuality. It's to do with gender. People making gender and sexuality the same thing are why transgender people get made into perverts in the eyes of the public all the time.

You are partially right. I should have referenced gender and sexuality. Some children have a broader exposure in life than others. My kids knew people from many branches of life, rich, poor, straight, gay, bi and transgender. As well, there cultural exposures race exposures, religious exposures. They were taught to not judge it to accept and to ask questions. I was simply trying to explain to original poster that she may have misconstrued the child's intent

PANDORUM89 21

honestly that means that you did not dress according to a particular sex. so if you know that you do not dress in "girl" clothes or "boy" clothes or you have shorter hair or longer hair in respect to your gender then you shouldn't feel offended or hurt if a child asks. an adult yes, but not a child. they are taught what a girl or boy looks like and when older teens/adults push that idea they can get confused. when I was younger I wore boys shorts, baggy shirts, and a bandana. I was always asked if I was a boy or girl. now I wear "girl" clothes and I'm never asked. my friend shaves her head for a charity fundraiser for her special needs students and she also dresses more masculine so when kids ask she explains she's female and why she wears the clothes she does. most kids don't care they are just curious. don't take it to heart and keep on thinking you are pretty because you are! confidence is the most attractive aspect on any gender. so stay strong!

How ****** up is it that we are all socially conditioned to feel shame and embarrassment when someone isn't sure what gender we are. Says a lot about how our supposedly open-minded, modern society really feels about gender roles.

I'm sure the child didn't mean for it to offend you. children ask a lot of quesions that are uncalled for. just remember your opinion is the one that counts! keep feeling pretty!

I feel that pain, I have been asked many times by adult strangers who I walk past.

She was probably confused if you had shortish hair and it was hiding your face. If it wasn't then it doesn't matter don't let people put you down and it's just a little girl anyways it's one persons opinion on how you look keep being positive.