By iamamermaid - 20/01/2015 06:14 - United States - Hemet

Today, I decided to use an at-home waxing kit for the first time to get rid of the hair on my upper lip. After experiencing the trauma of waxing, I fell asleep. A few hours later, I woke up to see that I now have acne everywhere I had waxed. I have an acne mustache. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 023
You deserved it 4 786

Same thing different taste

Top comments

llamarrama01 21

Leaving the hair would've shaved you the embarrassment.

Comments

Exfoliating and then sanitizing the area first, helps.

It's not acne, it's probably an allergic reaction to the wax. Don't try to squeeze the zits! Apply some sort of cream or moisturiser. Good luck!

The crushing majority do, since early teens to the rest of our lives...

And don't shave! That is the worst mistake you'll ever make! Try going to a salon and ask for professional help, and maybe later you can try new brands of wax (test the wax on a small area of your arm to see if there is any reaction first). If waxing is not for you, bleaching is an option, or hair removal cream (but test everything first!).

Like #53 I honestly had no idea other women shaved their upper lip. I do it because (a) I'm lazy and (b) I'm poor and face-specific creams & waxes are freakin' expensive!! But I always thought it was unladylike or something. Makes me feel a little better about things, anyway. And OP - ouch! Like everyone else has said, just don't touch it. Or you could see a pharmacist to see if they can recommend anything to help it heal faster.

zeffra13 31

Are you sure it's acne and not irritation bumps or ingrown hair follicles?

This is completely normal! This happens to me when I wax my lip. It sucks. So next time, make sure you don't have to do anything for a few days after lol. I try to leave the waxing until I can last no longer for that reason of breaking out. Put some rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad/ball, use it on your lip before waxing and after a few times. And if you get your lip done professionally, let them know that happens. Fyl for having sensitive skin!! I feel your pain

That used to happen to me all the time when I waxed my brows. I feel you op.

lmb2015 5

When you wax you need to exfoliate ( use a luffa or any type of exfoliation scrub) on the area as well moisturize ... this should help.. if you shave, it will come back thick and corse...

XD I'm really sorry but I got this hilarious mental image in head and probably laughed more than I should have.

This could be caused by a number of things, bad reaction to the brand of wax etc. A few tips if you decide to wax your upper lip again: 1. Steam your face first, it will loosen up the hair follicles for a less painful wax. 2. Splash cold water on the area after to close pores back up after waxing. Using something antibacterial such as witch hazel on the area will also help to prevent pimples in the area. 3. Make sure you're pulling in the right direction, hairs on the upper lip tend to be on an angle so for the right side of the upper lip you will be pulling the wax off to the left diagonal (not straight up or straight to the side) and you should be doing the opposite for the other side. 4. Ensure the skin is pulled tight during the process, this will reduce pain and ensure the wax comes off (or mostly off) in one clean rip. If you're too scared to try waxing again there are other options that don't involve a razor! 1. Threading, can be done on the upper lip aswell as the eyebrows. I haven't personally had this done or tried it at home (it takes some skill I have heard) but it's popular with Indian ladies and my sister has had hers done with good results. I couldn't comment on the cost of this in your area though. 2. Laser hair removal, I have not yet had treatments on my face as I've been too lazy to stay out of the sun (Australian summers are awesome) but the cost has come down dramatically in the past few years. Again I'm not sure of the cost in your area but upper lip is an area that you can get done for about $10 per treatment here. The upper lip does take more treatments than other areas of your body but it is permanent. I've had laser on other areas with amazing results (halfway through treatments and hair is barely noticeable on legs, as an Indian this is saying something). 3. There are natural alternatives to wax aswell, I've heard of sugaring but never experienced this or anyone who has done this so I won't comment further on it.

I think this is exactly why they tell you to test it on a small area before you use it completely...just a guess.