By partyrocker12 - 19/09/2012 19:45 - United States

Today, I decided to give blood for the first time in my life. As an 18-year-old, 5'1", 110lb woman, I guess I shouldn't have been allowed there, much less permitted to leave the room to get some food. I ended up passing out in the middle of the dining hall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 924
You deserved it 4 212

partyrocker12 tells us more.

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Top comments

hopsinlove17 26

At least your vein didn't collapse. Shame on the doctor who permitted you...at our blood drive you have to be 120

Comments

Harry9404 3

Depending on what company you donated blood with you met the criteria.

I'm 17 6'1" and 180 and I passed out haha

TcheQ 12

I nearly passed out the first time i gave blood too - stood up too fast in the afternoon during seminar presentation. Hurt my need, but not too serious

icrest80 4

Ya I know a guy who's brother hit his head on the floor when his brother was getting his blood taken and he ended up dying from brain complications it was tragic

Weight really doesn't matter. Sure, if you're an overall tiny person and are deathly worried about it, you shouldn't go and have a lot of blood removed. However, if you drink a lot of water and eat before and after, then you should be just fine to give blood at 18! OP, you needed to give yourself more sustenance, or you should have made that adult decision on your own not to give blood.

holyshitbatman 20

as much as i want to say congrats fpr doing the right thing, i have to say thats why they have height & regulations....so you DONT faint...

StephLovesYouuxo 1

OMG I'm 13 and I weigh more than you..

astralvagan 20

You're 13 and commenting on FML.... I'm not even sure you have lived long enough to know what an FML actually is.....

Just a heads up, the Red Cross may not let you give blood. I'm about the same size as you (and also have low blood pressure) and they asked me about 5 times if I weighed enough. Then when I fainted afterwards they told me I should probably get up to over 120 lbs before I tried again. Never hit that milestone unfortunately.

solosohigh 15

I'm 5'4" and 105 lbs. ......oh sorry, I thought everyone was just here to post their height and weight. my bad.

carminecris89 13

I faint every time I get mine drawn. I fainted as soon as I got up one time, and even made it to the elevator another. I'm the same height but weigh between 110-120. That sucks, I know it must have been really embarrassing. I wouldn't advise donating blood again though.