By partyrocker12 - 19/09/2012 19:45 - United States

Today, I decided to give blood for the first time in my life. As an 18-year-old, 5'1", 110lb woman, I guess I shouldn't have been allowed there, much less permitted to leave the room to get some food. I ended up passing out in the middle of the dining hall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 924
You deserved it 4 212

partyrocker12 tells us more.

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Top comments

hopsinlove17 26

At least your vein didn't collapse. Shame on the doctor who permitted you...at our blood drive you have to be 120

Comments

ewille42 4
nina21194 12

You have to be at least 120 lbs to give blood

I am just like you. Same height and weight and was 18 last year. I was trying to donate blood because i felt guilty but luckily i got stopped.

#66 is right. #18 you should think of what you're saying before you type it out.

usnwife 18

I tried giving blood, but stopped bleeding halfway through... They kept wiggling the needle and re-poking me. Yeah, I passed out too. They told me never come back :/ At least we tried!

Hey Noor, don't listen to some people here. I'm 4'11 and barely weigh 110 lbs and I've donated twice and never passed out. Just keep your iron levels high beforehand and drink a lot of Gatorade afterwards. Many people feel faint on their first go and then don't donate again because they're afraid of fainting, but usually you just feel a little off on your first try because you're not used to the sudden blood loss.

hellogoodbye1996 6

Guys, I talked to the guy that ran the blood van. He told me I had to weigh 120, because I am 5'4. He then preceded to tell me that once i'm 22 there isn't a weight requirement, because our bodies are fully developed. So, I do know what I'm saying. Don't assume that just because I didn't give all the facts that I don't know.

partyrocker12 1

Another update: since they attempted to put an IV in the SAME VEIN as I gave blood in, the area on my left elbow is now purple and yellow and mildly swollen. I do color guard on a regular basis, and I had practice tonight. Guess who wasn't allowed to spin? That's right, me. FML again lol. Not to mention I felt like I've been hit by a truck and went to all of my classes, guard practice, and Alpha ceremony. So yes, FML for the second day in a row!

My sympathies to you--hopefully you're not missing much in practice, but it's all for the best. If you had problems going to your dining hall, it'd be best not to run around on a field and spin for a few days.

Since you are at a healthy weight you probably passed out because you didn't eat before donating. When I read your post all I could think is you want people to tell you how petite you are, but you shouldn't weigh more than 110 at your height.

Yeah and I worked on the bus too... Where we are, the age 22 doesn't matter. All you need (at least here in miami dade) is to be 18 years old (or 17 with parent consent), 100-110 pounds (they kind of discourage donating if you're under 110 but it's still possible) and your HgB level has to be at least an 8