By partyrocker12 - 19/09/2012 19:45 - United States

Today, I decided to give blood for the first time in my life. As an 18-year-old, 5'1", 110lb woman, I guess I shouldn't have been allowed there, much less permitted to leave the room to get some food. I ended up passing out in the middle of the dining hall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 924
You deserved it 4 212

partyrocker12 tells us more.

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Top comments

hopsinlove17 26

At least your vein didn't collapse. Shame on the doctor who permitted you...at our blood drive you have to be 120

Comments

I'm the exact same age, height and weight.. I guess I can't donate then? :( You'd think they would have checked those things before they took your blood..

This sounds fake to me. They'd never take blood from a girl that size. I think she got turned down and they told her with her size she'd faint so she created this story.

sergeperez 4
kingethan94 1

Your much braver than I am. I could never give blood. You were doing it for a good cause

its not because of your size, but many factors could contribute to it. Like what you ate or drank that day, could have been nervous, blood pressure, etc. they should be more cautios when its your first time though. dont be discouraged to do it again, just be careful. make sure you eat enough and rest longer after and all that. good for you helping other people. keep it up! need more people like that!

actually 110 I ur 18 is the right weight, it's 130 if ur 16 or younger. u just might easily faint, I gave blood every year an I'm 5'3.....and was 110 also. so ur weight to body height ratio was more than mine. it could have been u didn't eat before or take enough fluids. but good for u for giving blood, u saved 3 lives today :)

crazytrain10110 1

I'm a 18 year old guy, 180 pounds and the same happened to me. I feel your pain

lilolee94 4

really? I'm 5'1" and 110lbs and I didn't pass out when I donated.

jadedtiger 4

I have so been there I hit a chair going down and ended up at the er

osm1989_fml 6

I suppose they shouldn't have allowed you to donate blood, but if you knew you shouldn't have, why did you? YDI?

solosohigh 15