By partyrocker12 - 19/09/2012 19:45 - United States

Today, I decided to give blood for the first time in my life. As an 18-year-old, 5'1", 110lb woman, I guess I shouldn't have been allowed there, much less permitted to leave the room to get some food. I ended up passing out in the middle of the dining hall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 924
You deserved it 4 212

partyrocker12 tells us more.

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Top comments

hopsinlove17 26

At least your vein didn't collapse. Shame on the doctor who permitted you...at our blood drive you have to be 120

Comments

At least you are brave enough to donate blood *shudder* even reading this makes me woozy

At least you are brave enough to donate blood *shudder* even reading this makes me woozy

Wow that's no good. I'm not allowed to donate because of my seizure meds. I've been on them since I was 14.

HeyArnold91 8

It really depends on if your anemic or not, because I have given blood even at 5'3" 116lbs without passing out so you may want to see if you are iron deficient

partyrocker12 1

Not anemic; they did check my iron levels. Had to be 12.5, I was 13.6. I make it my business to memorize these numbers. Ultimately, I believe it was a combination of not eating right after, tackling a flight of stairs, and having normally low blood pressure is what did me in.

Red Cross requires that you weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, but it's best to be over that. I'm 4'11" and under 100 pounds. I can never give blood.

Mademoiselle_fml 34

I'm the same, 4'11" and range from 96-100 pounds and they've never let me donate blood either :(

It doesn't have to do with height or weight. I'm seven years younger then you at 5'5 and 120 and I nearly fainted myself at a blood test for students.

ur lucky a buddy of mine can't give blood cause he passes out as soon as they pull the needle out and he's 6'2" 250lbs

ShannonBitt 29

You're nowhere near being the first person to pass out after giving blood. Tons of people do, even if they're above the weight limit.

It happens OP. I've seen quite a few people, from when I was still school, pass out from giving blood, and they are 3x your size!