By partyrocker12 - 19/09/2012 19:45 - United States

Today, I decided to give blood for the first time in my life. As an 18-year-old, 5'1", 110lb woman, I guess I shouldn't have been allowed there, much less permitted to leave the room to get some food. I ended up passing out in the middle of the dining hall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 924
You deserved it 4 212

partyrocker12 tells us more.

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Top comments

hopsinlove17 26

At least your vein didn't collapse. Shame on the doctor who permitted you...at our blood drive you have to be 120

Comments

I'm a healthy, fit, 25 year old male. I passed out last week, straight after giving blood. They moved my bed into the upright position, I had time to think "crap, I feel funny". Next thing I know, I'm lying down again with a pair of the nurses looking down at me. I felt awful, and it took about 30 minutes to get me back on my feet. They weren't actually sure what caused it (other than a drop in blood pressure, obviously).

passing out is normal it actually happens often. thats why they make you wait 15 min before they release u.

#18, being 22 doesn't matter everywhere. Where I'm from, you have to be 16-17 with parent consent. I've given blood only three times, and I'm only 21. So being 22 is irrelevant.

Don't feel to bad or embarrassed, I'm a 18 y/o 6'1" 180 running back and line backer on the football team and I passed out after donating blood this year

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Good, OP! Be careful next time, certainly. I also would go with the Red Cross, instead. This company should've run their drive much better to avoid this. You could've still donated, but they should've taken care of you! P.S. I accidentally hit thumbs down on your comment, so for everyone's info, +2 thumb points to what it shows!

Don't worry, OP. I'm almost 23, 5'8" and.. weigh significantly more than you do. Lol. I've donated blood (with the Red Cross) at least 5 times, and if I get up too soon, I'll feel lightheaded. The first time I donated was when I was 18 at my high school, and I got pretty close to passing out. I just ask them if I can stay there for a few minutes. It just happens sometimes.

If your blood pressure is usually that low i would suggest bringing it up to normal before trying again

#207 it's not easy to "bring blood pressure up to normal". I have Anaemia and been taking iron tablets for ages. It keeps going lower.

Can they infuse your blood back to you right away;) (aka auto transfusion) Juz teasing. Stay flat. Use extreme caution when you stand up. Sit for 5 min and then stand slowly for 5min before you move about. and drink a lot of fluids with salt and electrolytes. Rehydrate yourself. Make sure you are not anemic. as silly as this sounds you can really hurt yourself with something like this. If you feel that something's not right seek help. If it persists beyond a few days, see a physician and have your heart, endocrine and autonomic nervous system checked out. Next time remember to not squeeze yourself dry when you come across a blood drive :P Disclaimer - above advise does not replace wholly or in part an in person evaluation by a qualified medical professional. This is for informational purposes only.

Good on you for trying to do something very noble. :) I'm a blood donor to and I think its very important to donate, they're always needed. Xx

SML1 2

I'm 4"11 and 108 I didn't have any problems they should of waited and let you relax though they should of brought you some juice and crackers

Look at the bright side! At least it was for a good cause! :D