By CallMeJesusFreak - 23/06/2011 23:58 - United States

Today, I couldn't prove my son has had chickenpox, so his school gave us the option of getting a potentially dangerous shot he didn't need, pay for an expensive blood test to show that he previously had the virus, or sign a waiver stating I'm a religious nut refusing medical treatment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 001
You deserved it 7 929

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

CmarieMC23 3

go for the religious nut option

I think it is very sad that states are requiring vaccinations for illnesses that are not lethal.

It can be lethal if you catch it as an adult :/

Which is why we get one child with chickenpox and put them in a room full of kids who haven't had it..

ReynshineCutting 10

Thank you 182!!!! This is exactly what all parents should do! It's what I'll be doing with my kids!

monnanon 13

@182 i dont think its a good idea to intentionally infect your kid with something but chicken pox is definately less potent when you are a child. If a kid catches it then fine but theres a good chance they might never get it I haven't and im 24.

You realise if you have kids and they get it you'll have to move out until they're better? The reason you haven't got it yet is pure luck and heard immunity. I'd rather deliberately give my child chickenpox than risk death/ permanent disability at our age..

monnanon 13

I tried to catch it as a kid and was never kept away from kids that had diseases and was at home the whole time my sister and brother had chicken pox. Incidently I have never had measles either though i was in close contact with a person during the contagious stage. So its not through lack of trying that I haven't had them.

monnanon 13

and its herd immunity not heard. We dont vaccinate for chicken pox where I live so herd immunity doesn't factor in. i have already found out im immune to one big childhood disease maybe its the same with chicken pox. If my son gets chicken pox I'll stay home and look after him like a good mother should. Knowing how hard i tried to get the chicken pox in the past I have no fears of catching it from my son.

Wow, one extra letter and you make me look like a total retard, nice.. Also, as I've said at least once, I live in the same place as you. I know we don't vaccinate for chickenpox here. I'm aware the term 'herd immunity' is used in reference to vaccination. Most people our age have had chickenpox already so that is still sort of herd immunity, even though we don't have the vaccine we're still immune which is what protects the people who haven't had it. If you happen to have an awesome immune system then that's just luck.. Which is why I said luck and herd immunity..

Why don't you have medical records to show this? YDI

reggicm 0

the blood test isn't expensive, I had to take out for a class of mine.

the shot sucks and u feel a little shitty after but it's worth it.

ReynshineCutting 10

Since he's already had chicken pox, getting the vaccine could make him very sick. Besides, it's much better in the long run for a kid to get chicken pox than spend their whole lives getting vaccinated against it only to get it 1000x worse as an adult.

zann_fml 2

You're not thinking, or you don't know your rights in Ca. In CA, you can choose to not vaccinate for any reason. It isn't a form "stating I'm a religious nut". In fact, you don't even give a reason in CA. You fill out a form saying that you aren't doing a vaccine/any vaccines. There is no reason given. Oh, and how do I know this? First, I'm a teacher in CA. Second, I had to fill out the form myself for my child.

ReynshineCutting 10

The OP could be sending her kid to a private school which would make it completely different than public school. Some private schools have ridiculous policies and such. I went to private school and it was insane.

PrincessesCrown 17

When I was a toddler my mom rubbed me against a three year old who had the chicken poxs, I never had them again! All of my friends think it was stupid of my mom to do that, but now we never have to pay for the shot, I won't get the poxs when I'm an adult, and I didn't even remember the pain of the poxs so it's like they never even happened! OP as of proving it to the school, did you really not take any pictures of your son with the chickenpox? Does he not have any scares from scratching? And at my school all we had to do was get a second opinion so the school called my aunt. Problem solved.

monnanon 13

I've never had chicken pox at all and its not something you definately have to have. We don't routinely do the shot in the Uk either so the shot cant be the reason. I think it was a bit silly to give you the disease to save a few bucks but as you said it had no adverse affects on you an fighting the actual disease probably is a stronger defense than the vaccine. On saying that you could have gone your whole life without getting it.

PrincessesCrown 17

Hell just call your doctor, I know mine has a records stating I've had chickenpox.